When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teens pinstriping details ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

famousDave

Look Ma, No Hands!
While attempting to restore a 1918 Excelsior moto bike truss model, I've come across these catalog images. From what I've seen, in the teens & twenties bikes typically have double hair line box pinstripes OR they have darts coming off the head tube and down the fork. These images seem to indicate the Excelsior (Michigan City ) craftsman applied both......Has anybody ever actually SEEN an example of this ? In particular, does anyone have a photo or example that shows how the double pin meets the pointed end of the "darts" ? Or, was it typical at the time for artists to "embellish" the catalog renderings ? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.....
Screenshot_2017-06-26-19-45-56.png
Screenshot_2017-06-19-01-05-34.png

I don't have any examples off hand but I believe that most bicycles were catalog correct unless they were a mid model year promotion. This was a late teens to early 20's transition from box pins to darts. I do know that the 1918 Sears Master had both double box pins and darts.

I don't have any examples off hand but I believe that most bicycles were catalog correct unless they were a mid model year promotion. This was a late teens to early 20's transition from box pins to darts. I do know that the 1918 Sears Master had both double box pins and darts.
Thanks.....Now all I have to do is find a photo of an example. The Merkel that just sold had both, but the transition at the end of the darts is JUST out of view in all of the 12 photos......Doh !

Back