When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your KLUNKER 5, SPITFIRE 5 or CRUISER 5

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hey Gary (and everybody else), what's your evaluation/opinion on this, which I believe was a very well done dealer creation?

Pretty decent job creating the woman's version, but there are a few indications it was done by an individual. Cable clips and zip ties for the rear brake cable needs some attention and the shifter cable would be better if it wasn't running thru the springer. I'm thinking a dealer would have used the Shimano cable clamps for the rear brake cable. The guard marking looks fresher (whiter) than the other decals and the guard paint is pretty wavy looking like a repaint and clear coat. The springer might be original to the bike and it has the S bolts. Overall a pretty decent job but it's not worth the sellers asking price IMO. I'm also familiar with that seller, I picked up a 1963 Corvette 3 speed project bike from him years ago.
been a while but the guy still hasn't sold it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/woman-039-s-vintage-cruiser-5-speed-balloon-tire-bicycle-/372004807662?

And it's not an 80's springer but of the 95 + era repops. Difficult to view but possible, the correct springer has sloppy to clean and wide, beveled welds on the pivot tube whereas, this has tight electro welding there. the decals look fresh and not laid down tight. And not sure but the top bar decal looks like it's too long, of Dan's that were and inch too long. Yet the chain guard ought to be 'whiter' b/c it would have been screen printed and not susceptible to UV or age yellowing as decals are . And the seller never said anything about dealer, just that; acquired as a set. "bought this in a male female package deal" a little scratching on decals and chain Gard so, it's been played with.

For the discrepancies, I doubt that bike was ever a Cruiser 5 but a fantasy build. Albeit, it is kind of cool as the seller regards and the frame has the correct rear caliper bracket to be so. .

No takers @ $377 currently so, if relisted for what; 6th, 7th time?, ought to be lower next go around.

Trouble with girls or fantasy build up?

Last edited:
I would appreciate some help...

My mom has my dad's Schwinn Klunker 5 that she wants to sell. He bought it new from the Schwinn dealer in the late 70's. It is blue and is all original (I believe that the tires are original as well.). The dealer put a big metal basket on the front but nothing else was done. I've seen values all over the place, so don't know what is realistic. I need to help her get the most she can for it.

I know pictures will help, so if you tell me what pix you'd like, I'll take them and post them as well as any info you need off of the bike. Thanks in advance for your help!
Ebay is your highest buyer market but the hub can help point out variations or discrepancies to note. U should put up photos of every angle you can think of, or at least 6. Especially if still clean and shiny, if nothing else, just for the thread's cataloging.

Pictures coming in the a.m. I haven't detailed it yet, so won't be shiny, but will be of help. I know that a market can determine a price, but would also appreciate informed opinons. Thanks again!

Pictures coming in the a.m. I haven't detailed it yet, so won't be shiny, but will be of help. I know that a market can determine a price, but would also appreciate informed opinons. Thanks again!
You're right, the values on these seem to be unsettled, but the overall trend is up. If I had one in decent shape, I don't think I'd let it go for less than $500.00, and if you're not in a rush to sell, I expect you can do better than that. Condition of the chrome counts for a lot, getting parts re-chromed gets expensive fast, and those rims aren't easy to find.

Hey, I've already posted an ad, but I'm looking for a Chicago made RED single speed coaster Spitfire in fairly nice, original condition as a mate to my black one here. If anyone has one or knows of one, please let me know. Thank you, Danny

IMG_5392.JPG

My 1980 Cruiser 5...I added the Ball Light and the speedo...Added the stainless spokes whem i polished the front and rear Original from the dealer Atom Hubs..Came with the springer too..Original paint bike.
897848c3a7f519c085deba5b24205c11.png
c299f15f5d166160f5615f770f3793e2.jpg
1a9471ddcc9b3e0d27b48688c8009d41.jpg
775590cb68d0ae40a66a53b23545421e.jpg
fd126e5e8ce6d984ffde5f1884f9d54c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You're right, the values on these seem to be unsettled, but the overall trend is up. If I had one in decent shape, I don't think I'd let it go for less than $500.00, and if you're not in a rush to sell, I expect you can do better than that. Condition of the chrome counts for a lot, getting parts re-chromed gets expensive fast, and those rims aren't easy to find.

So, I got the Klunker out and it's 100% original including the tires, but not in the fantastic condition I remembered (I guess I'm getting old!) Here are the pictures...

0717171256-1.jpg

0717171256a.jpg

0717171256b.jpg

0717171256c.jpg

0717171257.jpg

0717171259a.jpg

0717171259_HDR.jpg

0717171259b.jpg

0717171258.jpg

0717171258_HDR.jpg

0717171259.jpg

0717171257c.jpg