When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Rudge Harvard

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wrongway

I live for the CABE
I have noticed this bike on craigslist and the price is going down and it's not far from me. I can't post a picture here so you might not be able to help. It looks like any ordinary 3 speed Rudge or Raleigh or.....but it has no fenders or chain guard. The chain ring is the 'Red Hand Of Ulster'. The bars are a drop bar with the shifter mounted under the right hand brake lever. It also has the extra brake levers on the tops. That's the part that throws me off. I would buy this and I suppose for $50 I wouldn't lose out, but I don't want to buy another cobbled up bike.

It's definitely a Rudge, although their frames look like sports models due to their distinctive 'aero' fork crowns; I have a 1910ish ladies model that has the same fork crown.
I think those bars and brakes may be later additions, they look more '70's to me.
A good guide to dating the rest of it should be the rear hub. If it's original. Sturmey Archer stamped a date of manufacture on their hubs, usually month/year.
In the photos that rear hub is either covered in crud, or is a desirable (possibly close ratio) aluminium model.
I don't think that saddle looks right either, sports models would have inevitably come with a Brooks.
Nice basis for a good, usable project at that price.
Good luck!

00W0W_9zHLkETAPqX_1200x900.jpg

Notice the wingnuts on the front wheel? Someone sure went to some trouble to make it look real. He's at $35 for it and I'm sure it's worth that as a bike alone, but I could put the money toward parts for other bikes. I just don't think it's rare. However, I have had a hard time in the past finding drop bars that fit in an English stem. That might be worth the $35 right there! hmmm....

If you've got storage space, you can't go wrong at that price. But on the other hand, there's an endless supply of project bikes.

I have noticed this bike on craigslist and the price is going down and it's not far from me. I can't post a picture here so you might not be able to help. It looks like any ordinary 3 speed Rudge or Raleigh or.....but it has no fenders or chain guard. The chain ring is the 'Red Hand Of Ulster'. The bars are a drop bar with the shifter mounted under the right hand brake lever. It also has the extra brake levers on the tops. That's the part that throws me off. I would buy this and I suppose for $50 I wouldn't lose out, but I don't want to buy another cobbled up bike.

It's worth checking out if close to you. There's $50 worth of parts there, I would say. It's a big project. Look for broken stuff (looks like one pump boss at least is broken). The wing nuts on the front are a nice touch, though not entirely uncommon (a set of rear Sturmey Archer wingnuts on the back are worth their weight in gold to collectors). I'm intrigued by the chainring and cranks - looks fluted road type with an "H" chainring (but it's not a Hercules apparently?). Worth checking out at least.

O
It's worth checking out if close to you. There's $50 worth of parts there, I would say. It's a big project. Look for broken stuff (looks like one pump boss at least is broken). The wing nuts on the front are a nice touch, though not entirely uncommon (a set of rear Sturmey Archer wingnuts on the back are worth their weight in gold to collectors). I'm intrigued by the chainring and cranks - looks fluted road type with an "H" chainring (but it's not a Hercules apparently?). Worth checking out at least.
It's a classic Rudge chain ring, the archetypal 'hand' design is upside down in that photo, and not so easily discernible.

Here are 2 examples of those distinctive Rudge fork crowns.
1910's ladies 28" wheel model (with later front brake).....
WP_20170403_17_43_22_Pro.jpg

1954 gents sports model, 26" wheel 3-speed.....
WP_20170325_11_53_13_Pro.jpg

One of my favourite fork crown shapes, surely admired by Signor Cinelli.

Here are 2 examples of those distinctive Rudge fork crowns.
1910's ladies 28" wheel model (with later front brake).....View attachment 646686

1954 gents sports model, 26" wheel 3-speed.....View attachment 646687

One of my favourite fork crown shapes, surely admired by Signor Cinelli.

The 1950s slope shouldered type also was sold as Raleigh's "heavy duty" replacement fork for bikes that needed fork replacement and the owner wanted something heavier duty. I have one in my shed somewhere with Sir Walter Raleigh decal on it. I rode it for awhile before I fixed the original fork for one of my bikes. I do think it was stiffer and a bit stronger than the original thimble Raleigh.

Back