When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your KLUNKER 5, SPITFIRE 5 or CRUISER 5

-
Sorry if I was too redundant, Tony M....
I was trying to reply to your post but ...I did something wrong..here is a picture of a cruiser 5 that I sold for $700 ..
20170304_155146.jpg

I was trying to reply to your post but ...I did something wrong..here is a picture of a cruiser 5 that I sold for $700 ..View attachment 646350
Thanks, Tony! I figured I'd just said the same suff too much...
The bike you posted is in fantastic condition. Hopefully, I can clean it up without damaging anything.. i was disappointed that the decals were so worn off. I guess that happens on these bikes, though. Probably better to leave it original, though!

Thanks, Tony! I figured I'd just said the same suff too much...
The bike you posted is in fantastic condition. Hopefully, I can clean it up without damaging anything.. i was disappointed that the decals were so worn off. I guess that happens on these bikes, though. Probably better to

I need to thoroughly detail it as well as clean and polish the chrome...

If you do clean and detail it, be very careful of the decals and screening on the chain guard. I have to say that the Blue Klunkers are no where near as common as the red and black versions.
Head badge number 3138. Your Klunker was assembled on Thursday November 9, 1978

I need to thoroughly detail it as well as clean and polish the chrome...
I bet that chrome will clean up better than you think. I like to use Quick-Glo, according to the maker, it has pumice in it, which "is hard enough to cut through grime and surface rust, but not hard enough to scratch chrome" which I've found to be true. But there are other ways to clean chrome too, as long as you don't try sandpaper, which leaves scratches that you'll never get out. The biggest problem you might run into is if you get it looking too good, you won't want to sell it. Or maybe that's just me.

They're great riding bikes. Here's a couple pictures of my Spitfire 5 from last weekend, near Lincolnton NC. The Planet Bike fenders aren't great looking, but they keep the mud off you and your bike!

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

There are several methods for cleaning chrome, , surprisingly aluminum foil works great. Small pieces add a bit of water and rub the liquid as it turns /brown/gray/black; cleans and fills tiny holes too. . Brass brush is preferred by many which is a bit better for getting around the spoke nuts. and solvents of different chemicals. brass and aluminum, or Oleic acid are my preferred, albeit that acid trick requires more work than the book's cover indicates. And I don't care for most solvents b/c in short term can look nice but long term it's possible for its chemicals to remain in tiny areas, then come back to haunt you. Do not use steel wool, sand paper or any other metal brush type, they will scratch it and the average person may not see it but we WILL. .

As for your paint, only lightly on your decals and especially, most especially! your fender Guard, it's screen painted and the white can just wipe right off. Those fenders are not actually Schwinn, they're add on's by dealers and cheap enough buy to replace. Yet the rust doesn't look very heavy so, prob clean just fine. Or even better; pick up a cheep 1995+ Schwinn cruiser with chrome fenders and front duck tail, for practically nothing on C/L. rob some parts for other bikes and trash the rest. [grin]. You got generic fenders as it is, so, who cares? How does me know? B/C Schwinn fenders would have a duck tail and , on the brackets, the flat area running under and attaching to it, that flat area will be much closer to the side of fender; approximately 3/8" to 1/8" flat area showing. .Albeit there is this possibility in replacing cheapo china generic fenders to newer cheapo china Schwinn fenders; The purest may want those b/c most know the dealer did that. Check this site's maintenance section for more cleaning/detailing aides.

You best item on the whole bike is that chain guard, nice clean and strong screen printed white paint remains guard it (see how I did that?) wit you life. :cool: B/C everything else can be bought in ebay.

other than the top bar Schwinn decals, elbow grease and determination to cash in highest value, your bike will clean up berry nicely. Yet as is because that chain guard's white paint is so nice, there's a good chance a buyer who knows to clean would be happy to get for good price minus 50-100 bucks to clean it up him/her self.

That wouldn't be me b/c, I'm holding on too the delusion that, some dope will dump one on C/L, near me, fer nutin. :coldsweat::D

Last edited:
You best item on the whole bike is that chain guard, nice clean and strong screen printed white paint remains guard it (see how I did that?) wit you life. :cool: B/C everything else can be bought in ebay

That wouldn't be me b/c, I'm holding on too the delusion that, some dope will dump one on C/L, near me, fer nutin. :coldsweat::D

Here's to hoping you find a Klunker or a California Cruiser for $25 or less! Thanks for the advice! I am going to be VERY careful with it and err on the side of caution.

I have ridden this bike many times and just remember that it weighed something like 500 pounds! I always liked the huge basket...

This bike was actually a Christmas gift from my father to my mother one year. He basically bought the bike HE wanted, gave it to my mom for Christmas, then gave her the bike she wanted (I also have that one- all original) for her birthday a few months later. He never lived it down, but I don't think he ever got her a gift that was really for her that year, either.

Here's to hoping you find a Klunker or a California Cruiser for $25 or less! Thanks for the advice! I am going to be VERY careful with it and err on the side of caution.

I have ridden this bike many times and just remember that it weighed something like 500 pounds! I always liked the huge basket...

This bike was actually a Christmas gift from my father to my mother one year. He basically bought the bike HE wanted, gave it to my mom for Christmas, then gave her the bike she wanted (I also have that one- all original) for her birthday a few months later. He never lived it down, but I don't think he ever got her a gift that was really for her that year, either.
She should have kept it and not let him ride it. Then he would have had to buy what she wanted and beg her to trade! Or buy another Klunker for himself, and then you would have two!

Back