When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Rudge Harvard

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I brought it home. I will put up some more photos later today or tomorrow. Nothing any more exciting. The downtube has 'Rudge Sports' on it and 'Rudge' on the seat post tube. It has a bottom bracket oiler. The hub is a J.C. Higgins. Serial number on bike is: '75476 AS'. Someone turned a casual bike into a Road Bike.

I brought it home. I will put up some more photos later today or tomorrow. Nothing any more exciting. The downtube has 'Rudge Sports' on it and 'Rudge' on the seat post tube. It has a bottom bracket oiler. The hub is a J.C. Higgins. Serial number on bike is: '75476 AS'. Someone turned a casual bike into a Road Bike.

Still not bad. The oiler on the bottom bracket indicates an older frame. There is enough there for what it cost.

Here's a few more photos. I'm not always the best at 'picture-taking'. I can see where the guy got the idea it was a 'Harvard
HARVARD1.jpg
HARVARD2.jpg
HARVARD2.jpg
HARVARD3.jpg
HARVARD4.jpg

Maybe around 1949? There is a little threaded hole on the right side just behind the bottom bracket. Possibly for a chain guard?
I just found a picture of the downtube decal on the Veteran-Cycle Club under 1948 Raleigh parts. So....I would think 1947-1948. Question is.....is it worth digging up parts to try and put it back the way it was or just use it as a parts bike? hmm.....

Last edited:
Yes - mount for full chaincase and bolt. Late 40s or early 50s would have been my guess, so what you found sounds right. I would be inclined to build out of 40s-60s era Rudge parts, whatever is ballpark and affordable and matches. Rudge quality in those years was always fairly good. All 1940s parts will be hard and costly. I think if you are patient, it might work out.

Maybe around 1949? There is a little threaded hole on the right side just behind the bottom bracket. Possibly for a chain guard?
I just found a picture of the downtube decal on the Veteran-Cycle Club under 1948 Raleigh parts. So....I would think 1947-1948. Question is.....is it worth digging up parts to try and put it back the way it was or just use it as a parts bike? hmm.....

Am I correct in assuming that this was built before Raleigh took them over? I was thinking that the fluted cranks were a Previous Owner add-on, but now it looks like they are pictured in the catalogs. Also, the fork crown seems to have a much more pronounced point to them than does my '59 Rudge.

Am I correct in assuming that this was built before Raleigh took them over? I was thinking that the fluted cranks were a Previous Owner add-on, but now it looks like they are pictured in the catalogs. Also, the fork crown seems to have a much more pronounced point to them than does my '59 Rudge.
Raleigh bought Rudge in 1943, so any prewar bike would be before Raleight bought Rudge.
https://oldbike.wordpress.com/9-bicycle-history-nottingham/

Back