When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Rudge Harvard

-
I brought it home. I will put up some more photos later today or tomorrow. Nothing any more exciting. The downtube has 'Rudge Sports' on it and 'Rudge' on the seat post tube. It has a bottom bracket oiler. The hub is a J.C. Higgins. Serial number on bike is: '75476 AS'. Someone turned a casual bike into a Road Bike.

I brought it home. I will put up some more photos later today or tomorrow. Nothing any more exciting. The downtube has 'Rudge Sports' on it and 'Rudge' on the seat post tube. It has a bottom bracket oiler. The hub is a J.C. Higgins. Serial number on bike is: '75476 AS'. Someone turned a casual bike into a Road Bike.

Still not bad. The oiler on the bottom bracket indicates an older frame. There is enough there for what it cost.

Here's a few more photos. I'm not always the best at 'picture-taking'. I can see where the guy got the idea it was a 'Harvard
HARVARD1.jpg
HARVARD2.jpg
HARVARD2.jpg
HARVARD3.jpg
HARVARD4.jpg

Maybe around 1949? There is a little threaded hole on the right side just behind the bottom bracket. Possibly for a chain guard?
I just found a picture of the downtube decal on the Veteran-Cycle Club under 1948 Raleigh parts. So....I would think 1947-1948. Question is.....is it worth digging up parts to try and put it back the way it was or just use it as a parts bike? hmm.....

Last edited:
Yes - mount for full chaincase and bolt. Late 40s or early 50s would have been my guess, so what you found sounds right. I would be inclined to build out of 40s-60s era Rudge parts, whatever is ballpark and affordable and matches. Rudge quality in those years was always fairly good. All 1940s parts will be hard and costly. I think if you are patient, it might work out.

Maybe around 1949? There is a little threaded hole on the right side just behind the bottom bracket. Possibly for a chain guard?
I just found a picture of the downtube decal on the Veteran-Cycle Club under 1948 Raleigh parts. So....I would think 1947-1948. Question is.....is it worth digging up parts to try and put it back the way it was or just use it as a parts bike? hmm.....

Am I correct in assuming that this was built before Raleigh took them over? I was thinking that the fluted cranks were a Previous Owner add-on, but now it looks like they are pictured in the catalogs. Also, the fork crown seems to have a much more pronounced point to them than does my '59 Rudge.

Am I correct in assuming that this was built before Raleigh took them over? I was thinking that the fluted cranks were a Previous Owner add-on, but now it looks like they are pictured in the catalogs. Also, the fork crown seems to have a much more pronounced point to them than does my '59 Rudge.
Raleigh bought Rudge in 1943, so any prewar bike would be before Raleight bought Rudge.
https://oldbike.wordpress.com/9-bicycle-history-nottingham/

Back