When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Details about this CWC?

-

Muleman121

Finally riding a big boys bike
Howdy
Picked up this bike a couple weeks ago and have seen postings here that the frames like this were not necessarily made by Cleveland Welding. How does one differentiate which company made this frame and how to tell who made others when looking at other bikes?
What year and who made this Gambles Hiawatha badged bike?
Next thing....someone did some "touch up" on the back fender and I can't find any thing that will take the spray can crap off that doesn't remove the original off with it. Can you tell what the original pattern was under there? The paint on this is fragile and almost any thing but a rag damages it. Have any tricks to clean and preserve it?
Last and least, what's the story on the Delta light with the wing on it?
thanks in advance for help
Cary
Got the Pic's up

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1224 (1).JPG

Last edited:
it is Cleveland Welding built, and they did make Hiawatha's in the 50's, but I can't say I ever seen that badge on a CWC bike

also that chainringis usedon Western Flyer badged CWC bikes, and that "comet " tank is usually found on Hawthorne badged bikes

it is Cleveland Welding built, and they did make Hiawatha's in the 50's, but I can't say I ever seen that badge on a CWC bike

also that chainringis usedon Western Flyer badged CWC bikes, and that "comet " tank is usually found on Hawthorne badged bikes

Ok thanks. It all looks like it's been this way a very long time. Paint all matches color and patina. Maybe someone changed the badge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No CWC under the bottom bracket. Had me puzzled. We have a Hawthorne with a frame very close to this one.

No CWC under the bottom bracket. Had me puzzled. We have a Hawthorne with a frame very close to this one.

not sure when exactly in sequence the Cw was added to serials , I would say your bike is a 1947 , by thenit was the third time they used "A" and to avoid confusion the Cw suffix was added. but yourdropouts are post war , and it looks as if the seat post collar is welded on

not sure when exactly in sequence the Cw was added to serials , I would say your bike is a 1947 , by thenit was the third time they used "A" and to avoid confusion the Cw suffix was added. but yourdropouts are post war , and it looks as if the seat post collar is welded on

Great information! Thanks! So....what's an appropriate badge for this bike?

I agree with all the other posts !! you might want to replace the badge, w/ a roadmaster badge and put the correct rivets in !! 1946/47 is on the money !!..check out the other comets and compare them to yours? like your cwc...;) Richard....

I agree with all the other posts !! you might want to replace the badge, w/ a roadmaster badge and put the correct rivets in !! 1946/47 is on the money !!..check out the other comets and compare them to yours? like your cwc...;) Richard....

Thank you Richard; appreciate all the information. There is so much to learn.

Back