When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 BLUE Radiobike Restoration

-
Well, there a ton more rust on the frame than the fork. Lots of gray areas appeared after my efforts to bring back any of the blue. Its more of a glossy patina now. It will be repainted - 60% of the paint is gone - it was mostly rust.

I had a Columbia 3-Star mens Deluxe.
The original “blue" color was a little similar to yours.
It was not a solid blue, but more like a metallic or iridescent hue.
20170811_064206.jpg

I had a Columbia 3-Star mens Deluxe.
The original “blue" color was a little similar to yours.
It was not a solid blue, but more like a metallic or iridescent hue.
View attachment 658639

Hard to say if the paint is just really faded in those areas, or very light, thus exposing the silver bonderized primer. The sheet metal parts were stored in an attic, away from the elements. They are a bright, darker blue. It's all the same hue and shade throughout, very consistent.

Now, Scott M. owns the other known complete blue Radiobike. Any others I have been told about were rumors, and parts and pieces at that. Here is Scott's bike for comparison versus mine before restoration began. Well, now that I look at them side-by-side, I suppose the sheet metal parts on mine could very well be that bright, almost a sky blue color.

In any case, I would prefer to only respray the frame and fork, and leave the parts alone, since they survived reasonably well. What say you, Dr. Jakes?? @2jakes

Another reason I choose to leave the parts alone, is because their decals are not reproduced. correct decals for green and blue bikes are not reproduced. I would consider doing them, but I believe so few are left needing them it may not be worth investing in.

radiobike016-jpg.jpg

radiobike024-jpg.jpg

coffee.jpg

17630127_908541795954679_5816121981524917982_n.jpg
17757536_908526369289555_4725706715175506058_n.jpg

^^^^^^^
I like the idea! Keep the parts as original as possible,
If I had the chance I would go for the unrestored

“as-is’” original over a restored one....anytime!

What year is the Radio-bike?

I have a ‘55 Red Phantom.
The red color is a “metalic” hue (not sure what the correct term is)

If I’m not mistaken, I believe the earlier red phantoms came with a solid red.
I’m not an expert, this is only what I have read or seen.

In the mid 50s...irisdescent or metallic colors were popular.

This is mostly speculation.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^
I like the idea! Keep the parts as original as possible,
If I had the chance I would go for the unrestored

“as-is’” original over a restored one....anytime!

What year is the Radio-bike?

I have a ‘55 Red Phantom.
The red color is a “metalic” hue (not sure what the correct term is)

If I’m not mistaken, I believe the earlier red phantoms were solid.
I’m not an expert, this is only what I have read or seen.

In the mid 50s...irisdescent or metallic colors were popular.

This is mostly speculation.

'Ole blue is a '55. The Radiobikes were painted using candy colors. The metal was polished, "bonderized" and a silver coat of primer applied. Then, a colored, yet somewhat translucent coat of paint would be sprayed. This gave the bike a metallic look. Most of the paint on the chassis of this bike is spotted from moisture and corrosion seeping into that bonderized primer, and making it appear discolored. In many areas, the paint was gone and the rust got to the surface, hence the bare metal.

I now am in a flustered hurry to get these re-sprayed properly and have the rear rim back from the platter in time...my only weak links in this entire build. In order to get this done right, I may have to farm it out - I won't have the time during the week. It must be a person or shop I trust.

Anywho, this painting process was popular in the 50s and 60s, but the effects of age are the same. Here is a 1968-69 Hot Wheel that was painted with this process, with similar side effects. Note the discolored spots on the side:

HW69SplitImageOrgDI160724Gallery.jpg

'Ole blue is a '55. The Radiobikes were painted using candy colors. The metal was polished, "bonderized" and a silver coat of primer applied. Then, a colored, yet somewhat translucent coat of paint would be sprayed. This gave the bike a metallic look. Most of the paint on the chassis of this bike is spotted from moisture and corrosion seeping into that bonderized primer, and making it appear discolored. In many areas, the paint was gone and the rust got to the surface, hence the bare metal.

I now am in a flustered hurry to get these re-sprayed properly and have the rear rim back from the platter in time...my only weak links in this entire build. In order to get this done right, I may have to farm it out - I won't have the time during the week. It must be a person or shop I trust.

I was going to mention that creating the “candy colors” requires a
specific method.
But I see that you know what is involved.

Good Luck & keep us posted.
oglvvd.gif

The best classic restoration shop in the state is quoting me on the repaint. This shop has done cars, bikes, motorcycles, and trucks. The mashed kickstand mounting tubes will also be fixed or replaced while its in the shop. They do amazing work. We'll see....good thing I do not plan to ever sell this LOL

Nope...not satisfied with a half nude frame...you guys were right about the paint being gone, but I had to try!

edited.jpg
20170812_114852.jpg
20170812_114908.jpg
20170812_114920.jpg
20170812_114957.jpg
20170812_114942.jpg

Last edited:

Anywho, this painting process was popular in the 50s and 60s, but the effects of age are the same. Here is a 1968-69 Hot Wheel that was painted with this process, with similar side effects. Note the discolored spots on the side:

View attachment 658649

Actually I believe Hot Wheels were zinc plated--not silver primed and the color shot right over the zinc. People restore Hot Wheels too and I believe this is the process they use. V/r Shawn

Actually I believe Hot Wheels were zinc plated--not silver primed and the color shot right over the zinc. People restore Hot Wheels too and I believe this is the process they use. V/r Shawn

I am a bit rusty, as I have not been very active in collecting Hot Wheels for a long time. However, I believe you are correct. If memory serves, the body was polished, and a very thin coating of zinc was applied in a tumbler. The zinc was cleaned and polished again, and a layer of translucent candy color paint was applied. This paint was discontinued after the 1972 model year, due to increasing cost, the economy, and the rising concern of lead paint in consumer products.

The idea is the same though, with a similar end result.

Update:

I got the radio back from the shop again. It appears the speaker probably went out, as a new one was retrofitted in the tank, using the old transformer. I will test it again this weekend. I am sure other components were replaced.

As for the repaint, the restoration shop is unable to commit to the due date, and I am unable to find or think of anyone else local to do it. I can repaint it, but the tubes where the kickstand mounts need to be repaired or replaced while the bike is stripped. I do not know how nor own the tools to do brazing. So, in short, I may have to do my best and present it with the half-nude frame. I am not going to half-ass a paint job on a high end bike. I will still have this particular shop do the work, but it will have to be during the winter, after the show. I will not compromise quality over convenience.

Back