When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need ID on 3Gill Tank!

-

Demzie

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Recently, I picked up a 3Gill tank, purposely for a '47 Roadmaster Cleveland Welding
(Serial Number on frame to fit ideally would have a Cw Suffix at the end of the Serial numbers between '47-49)

The Three Gill models as I understand are 1947 and 51-52?

My inquiries are these;

One, is this Cleveland or Snyder?
I'm almost Positive its CWC but someone threw a wrench into my certainty sounding pretty certain of themselves saying Snyder with no backing evidence.

Two, Id like to know the years they did the 3Gill and a general Value of an original painted tank (minus horn unit and battery tray)

Three, does Anyone in the north western Wisconsin area have the frame to fit in question? I have a little bit of Colson in trade~
*MEASUREMENTS BELOW*
(22" in total length)

Flying Zombie

orca-image-1502910341616.jpg_1502910342083.jpeg
orca-image-1502910327263.jpg_1502910327805.jpeg
20170816_131854.jpg

That looks like the tank on my 38 roadmaster do you think orig paint is underneath. As far as price I can't guess. It has a weird fastening system. On it screws on both sides with a coupling nut bearing against clips that locate it on frame. Yours are missing

uploadfromtaptalk1503260749764.jpg

That looks like the tank on my 38 roadmaster do you think orig paint is underneath. As far as price I can't guess. It has a weird fastening system. On it screws on both sides with a coupling nut bearing against clips that locate it on frame. Yours are missing

View attachment 663371

The '38, '47 and a couple 1952s have a VERY similar style tank with not much discernible difference, this being a reason for inquiry if it IS Cwc and possibly having someone chime in to attest for its year based on some signification.
I DO believe the Original paint to likely be underneath, though the white is on there very evenly and Id have a hard time believing its not the original paint with the decal worn off some odd years ago with no lines to trace what it'd have looked like.

Theres an area notable on your tank, Mike..up on top toward the front just behind the gills. It looks like an outlet or indentation of some sort?

I noticed some of these tanks have the button hole on the left, and others on the right as well,. a possible identifier to those savvy.

FZ

Also, upon closer inspection, your bike appears to be straight bar for the middle, where this tank slopes.

Ya I noticed that second bar too. Ill take a better look at in morning. And when I was sandblasting it the orig paint design came into view only for a second before it was gone . The indent is a. Delta horn button
It had a inline tray for 4 DS and orig paint was a cream with marroon?.don't know much about it either except none of my Schwinn cups etc. Would fit it. I finally got a decent ND rear hub and replaced non adj. ND front with script Schwinn. Now to put some miles onit

uploadfromtaptalk1503283849085.jpg

Ya I noticed that second bar too. Ill take a better look at in morning. And when I was sandblasting it the orig paint design came into view only for a second before it was gone . The indent is a. Delta horn button
It had a inline tray for 4 DS and orig paint was a cream with marroon?.don't know much about it either except none of my Schwinn cups etc. Would fit it. I finally got a decent ND rear hub and replaced non adj. ND front with script Schwinn. Now to put some miles onit

View attachment 663630

Thats one handsome bike, but the tank is a separate variation for sure, where my button is also left sided, its flush against the left side, behind the gills and not above.
FZ

Not sure if this Help out but I Do Have a 46-47 CWC HIAWATHA Tank Bike Listed in the For Sale Section...Notice the Main Difference is Mine has NO Horn or Button....also It Has an Indentation of a Comet Shape inset into the Tank not a Decal...BuickMike has a Prewar BENT Tank Model which also has the 3-gills but is a Straightbar on the Bottom and a Different shape altogether...I Have 1 of those Bikes too...I am No expert but I would say you Might have a Similar Tank made by the HP Snyder Company who made alot of Tank Models...Good Luck...;)

Not sure if this Help out but I Do Have a 46-47 CWC HIAWATHA Tank Bike Listed in the For Sale Section...Notice the Main Difference is Mine has NO Horn or Button....also It Has an Indentation of a Comet Shape inset into the Tank not a Decal...BuickMike has a Prewar BENT Tank Model which also has the 3-gills but is a Straightbar on the Bottom and a Different shape altogether...I Have 1 of those Bikes too...I am No expert but I would say you Might have a Similar Tank made by the HP Snyder Company who made alot of Tank Models...Good Luck...;)

Thank you, that is of great help!!
So Snyder is likely afterall. Huh., now I gotta dig up what Snyder 3Gill models there were.

What are you asking on your Hiawatha?

That tank is no Snyder, it's a CWC
You can differentiate the years by the horn button, and also the bolts on the tank.
Prewar 3 gills had the riveted button on the top left side, and the battery tray was welded.
Early postwar 3 gills had big button in the center of the left side of the tank (removable horn unit), or no horn at all.
Late postwar 3 gills from about 49 and onward, had a smaller horn button on the top right of the tank, with removable horn unit.

Recently, I picked up a 3Gill tank, purposely for a '47 Roadmaster Cleveland Welding
(Serial Number on frame to fit ideally would have a Cw Suffix at the end of the Serial numbers between '47-49)

The Three Gill models as I understand are 1947 and 51-52?

My inquiries are these;

One, is this Cleveland or Snyder?
I'm almost Positive its CWC but someone threw a wrench into my certainty sounding pretty certain of themselves saying Snyder with no backing evidence.

Two, i.d. like to know the years they did the 3Gill and a general Value of an original painted tank (minus horn unit and battery tray)

Three, does Anyone in the north western Wisconsin area have the frame to fit in question? I have a little bit of Colson in trade~
*MEASUREMENTS BELOW*
(22" in total length)

Flying Zombie

View attachment 663334 View attachment 663335 View attachment 663336
looks like this one I have

DSCF4920.JPG

Back