When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

58 Western Flyer X53

-

56 Vette

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Well I've been sitting on this X53, or should I say watching it sit in a corner of the garage since the spring Memory Lane swap meet. Was so excited to pick it up from Dave the Tinker, and tear into it, but one thing after another kept coming up, and there it sat. Well I did a lot of research on the X53's about colors, drivetrains, and serial numbers, and pretty much read everything I could on them. After messing with the Silverking and the DX bomber, I figured it's time to get this one in the stand. Tinker had gathered all the parts to complete it, so first order was to get the repop light top cleaned and polished up, and the rocket ray working. Got that finished and just now got the frame all tore down, everything came off pretty easy, and so the clean up starts. I'll try to keep updating my progress, but this one will take a little while. Joe
IMG_20170427_183730442.jpg
IMG_20170821_081924191.jpg
IMG_20170823_062824407.jpg
IMG_20170823_192719972.jpg
IMG_20170823_192741687.jpg
IMG_20170823_040652.jpg
IMG_20170823_040854984.jpg
IMG_20170823_040633.jpg

At least you're starting with a solid, complete bike! The chrome bill on this puppy might be a little hefty but looks like a straightforward restoration. Looking forward to more progress. V/r Shawn

Hey Joe, glad to see you starting on the old X53 . That day at the Memory Lane swap, you were so excited! It's funny that you posted this today, as I was about to P.M. you, and ask you if you started on it. The X53 was Murray's competitor to the Schwinn Phantom, and in my opinion a work of art. That bike sat neglected for many years, happy to see it found a good home, have fun with it!:)
007.JPG

Here is a photo of it hanging in my basement. glad to see it got a good home, and not ending up being parted out , like other bikes Iv'e sold.

The X53 or the Murray Fleet Line is another dream ride of mine, but my plate is full and priorities are shifting - so I doubt I'll chase that whale for a while. I love how this appears as one piece of metal when the frame, tank, guard, and rack are together.

Last edited:
The X53 or the Murray Fleet Line is another dream ride of mine, but my plate is full and priorities are shifting - so I doubt I'll chase that whale for a while. I love how this appears as one piece of metal when the frame, crank, guard, and rack are together.
These Murrays are beautiful bikes.I saw only one X53 as a kid. Everyone near me was riding the Monarks or Schwinns, or J.C. Higgins.Pictured below is a Murray I sold to another Caber this spring,
003.JPG
002.JPG
and below that, behind the other bikes, is a Mercury that I still have.
015.JPG
I have one more that is not put together yet, that will become a fender-less roadster. I enclose a photo of different Murray springers for comparison.
011.JPG
The only parts that are interchangeable, as far the X53, and the J.C. Higgins springer is the bottom bolts and nuts.,. and bail cap. Even those changed over the years, so be careful buying springer parts, notice the difference in the rocker assembly's . Pictured is the [black] 50's Higgin's springer, and a 49-50 springer the cap for the X53 springer is the ribbed one. the 49-50 is smooth.
These bikes are getting parted at an alarming rate. i hate to sell them at the swaps, as they usually get parted. Thank you Joe for putting my old one together.:)

001.JPG
Oops, How did this photo get in here?.....Bicycle Larry ended up with this one....

These Murrays are beautiful bikes.I saw only one X53 as a kid. Everyone near me was riding the Monarks or Schwinns, or J.C. Higgins.Pictured below is a Murray I sold to another Caber this spring,View attachment 665178 View attachment 665179 and below that, behind the other bikes, is a Mercury that I still have.View attachment 665181 I have one more that is not put together yet, that will become a fender-less roadster. I enclose a photo of different Murray springers for comparison.View attachment 665177 The only parts that are interchangeable, as far the X53, and the J.C. Higgins springer is the bottom bolts and nuts.,. and bail cap. Even those changed over the years, so be careful buying springer parts, notice the difference in the rocker assembly's . Pictured is the [black] 50's Higgin's springer, and a 49-50 springer the cap for the X53 springer is the ribbed one. the 49-50 is smooth.
These bikes are getting parted at an alarming rate. i hate to sell them at the swaps, as they usually get parted. Thank you Joe for putting my old one together.:)

View attachment 665180 Oops, How did this photo get in here?.....Bicycle Larry ended up with this one....

Tinker, I do not see any photos. Seems like many 50's and 60's high end models are getting parted. X53's, Corvette's, Silver Jet's, Fleet Line's, Golden Flyer's, etc. I know Tim Fox was selling a frame and rack at the last swap, and I thought about buying it. Thing is, most of the parts can be easily had. Like you said though, the springer, rack, guard, and tank make or break these bikes. Good luck finding them!

Tinker, I do not see any photos. Seems like many 50's and 60's high end models are getting parted. X53's, Corvette's, Silver Jet's, Fleet Line's, Golden Flyer's, etc. I know Tim Fox was selling a frame and rack at the last swap, and I thought about buying it. Thing is, most of the parts can be easily had. Like you said though, the springer, rack, guard, and tank make or break these bikes. Good luck finding them!
No photos? I posted 4 photos plus one accidentally , for a total of 5. I see them.....

Hey Tinker, thanks again, and I'm very glad to be the next caretaker of this one! Right now it won't be getting the full on restoration, but it is certainly in decent enough shape to go that way. I'm just taking each part and seeing how much chrome and paint i can get to come back, and make a nice rider out of it. And it will definitely NOT be parted on my watch!! Tinker thanks for all the info on the differences in the springer forks between the bikes you pointed out, guess I've never really looked that close, but very good stuff to know. Got the back rack polished up, and there might be a little more color there than I originally thought. She isn't gonna be a #10 show bike, but hopefully the rest cleans up this well. Joe
IMG_20170824_201012315.jpg
IMG_20170824_201024012.jpg

Back