When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Continental Sport Tourist

-

rollfaster

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
IMG_4777.JPG
IMG_4781.JPG
IMG_4778.JPG
L3 Coppertone one owner and immaculate. This bike has little to no wear. Can't wait to clean this baby up! Would love to find a really nice Sprint seat for it to tie in all the other Sprint goodies on it.

Another interesting note about this bike with talking to Chris( @cds2323), it was built on 11-22-63. I didn't even realize that until he brought it to my attention. Wow!

Another interesting note about this bike with talking to Chris( @cds2323), it was built on 11-22-63. I didn't even realize that until he brought it to my attention. Wow!

Surprised you haven't been chastised about the build date yet. Remember that the date is only the day the number was stamped or at least recorded. The actual build date isn't known.

But still a cool date for your serial number.

So I should refer to it as a 63 then?
I sure would! It has a '63 serial (which does only indicate the date the dropout was stamped, but on the EF bikes they built up the frames and bikes pretty quickly after that), it appears to be a model that was not available in '64, and the '64 Continental had large flange hubs with the large 7.5" chrome spoke protector and center pull brakes. The only curious part for me are the chainrings, which appear to be '64+ vintage. It may be that part was changed by the dealer when the bike was new as the 39-50T Sprint chainrings had a wider range than the 47-50T Huret chainrings used in '63 and earlier.

Very nice Conti. I'll add my 2 pennies about the build if that's okay. The brake levers are post 1963 possibly 1965 issue. Shifter levers are later post 1966. The rear derailleur looks like the 64 Sprint with the riveted on tag. Need close ups. What's inscribed on the front derailleur cage and clamp? Sprint? What's inscribed on the freewheel, Sprint? Beautiful bike, and for sure very interesting.
thumbsup.gif

I have a 1964 Coppertone Continental and I don't remember it having any pins on the top bar. I'll have to pull it out and see if I can find any traces of pins.

Last edited:
Back