When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Trike

-

ranman

Wore out three sets of tires already!
IMG_3120.JPG
IMG_3132.JPG
IMG_3103.JPG
just picked up my first trike. Wondering if they repop the tires? My front needs replaced. Dig the og pedal blocks as well. I may be in the market for grips as well. Just not sure yet.

For tire, try Memory Lane Classics in Grand Rapids, OH. They have some tires of that type though I don't know if they have your exact size.

I believe this is a Deluxe Colson model. It has the same recessed rear step plate design as the Colson Imperial model. The Imperial trikes were top-of-the-line with more chrome parts as the one in my thumbnail photo. The Deluxe series were the next step down in features and price. The paint scheme and colors match the catalog page in the 1950 catalog but that same scheme and colors could also have been on models a little bit on either side of 1950. In addition to MLC mentioned by Rambler, the CABE and Ebay are also possible sources for replacement tires. You have to heat the tires up in scalding hot to boiling water to make them pliable enough to stretch over the rim. I tried one cold and can tell you it doesn't work and the tire will most likely split wide open. Oh, and I just saw you sent a PM about this trike, so I hope I've answered your questions. Just curious...is yours a 12" front wheel or 16"?

I think your Colson will clean up very nicely and worth the effort to spiff it up. Colson's are very well made tricycles.

Dave

Last edited:
I believe this is a Deluxe Colson model. It has the same recessed rear step plate design as the Colson Imperial model. The Imperial trikes were top-of-the-line with more chrome parts as the one in my thumbnail photo. The Deluxe series were the next step down in features and price. The paint scheme and colors match the catalog page in the 1950 catalog but that same scheme and colors could also have been on models a little bit on either side of 1950. In addition to MLC mentioned by Rambler, the CABE and Ebay are also possible sources for replacement tires. You have to heat the tires up in scalding hot to boiling water to make them pliable enough to stretch over the rim. I tried one cold and can tell you it doesn't work and the tire will most likely split wide open. Oh, and I just saw you sent a PM about this trike, so I hope I've answered your questions. Just curious...is yours a 12" front wheel or 16"?

I think your Colson will clean up very nicely and worth the effort to spiff it up. Colson's are very well made tricycles.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I appreciate your knowledge and the information. I will try and measure the tire tonight when I get home but I am guessing it is a 12". The paint should really clean up nicely. Happy to have found one in such nice condition. Are 3" grips the right length?

Randy

Back