When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 Sky Blue Schwinn Sports Tourer

-
I've been weeding through the crusty ones the last decade or more, I find plenty of beaters, just get lucky sometimes I guess. I had to re-spoke the wheels on this one, they were beyond bringing back. All fun stuff for me, having them turn out so nice is just the icing on the cake. Been cranking out projects to sell the last couple months. Nice to work on a keeper for myself.
Your bike is beautiful! I'm in the process of restoring my 78 Superior that had some corrosion on the spokes. I used a brass brush which did a decent job but they don't shine anymore like new ones do. How do you know if the spokes are safe to be used after a cleaning? None of them were real rusty, just a little surface rust.

Your bike is beautiful! I'm in the process of restoring my 78 Superior that had some corrosion on the spokes. I used a brass brush which did a decent job but they don't shine anymore like new ones do. How do you know if the spokes are safe to be used after a cleaning? None of them were real rusty, just a little surface rust.
I've heard it from both sides, some say pitted or surface damaged spokes are unsafe, but have seen and personally rode some pretty crusty wheels with plenty of faith. Personally I'd say they were plenty safe. I put many miles on the original wheels on my 77 superior, crusty spokes and all.
aeff3b33fde4de1b413429f94aec7225.jpg

I've heard it from both sides, some say pitted or surface damaged spokes are unsafe, but have seen and personally rode some pretty crusty wheels with plenty of faith. Personally I'd say they were plenty safe. I put many miles on the original wheels on my 77 superior, crusty spokes and all. View attachment 673874
I cleaned them up and have been riding it with no issues.
20170910_170136.jpg

Looking at a July 72 ST today and here is the spider with the 90 bcd hole drilling pattern shown as being used up in this year, as Metacortex mentioned, I should introduce myself as I have made a few postings here in the past few days and have failed to do that, I am from Massachusetts, turned 60 this year, and in addition to fooling around with the 1970s lightweights I could not afford when I was riding then, I also deal pretty intensively in the vintage fishing tackle market, focusing on fly fishing and bamboo fly rods and related items specifically, what amazes me is that like on the Clarks Classic Rod Forum where I spend a lot of time, the wealth and depth of information you guys have here is fantastic, look forward to participating and contributing in any small way I can, Thanks, Todd

00b0b_jHWEAOzUGn2_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
Back