When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman: Firestone Supreme Streamline Help Needed Please!

-
The below Huffman built Firestone Fleetwood Supreme arrived in Santa Fe a few days ago; thank you Brady @Clark58mx ! I have been working on removing three layers of paint (green, burgundy, cherry red) to get it back to the original which is: Opalescent Maroon with white head tube and decorative elements. I still have much more to do; the fine detailing always takes the longest with paint removal... The chain guard had its original chrome finish under the paint. Some of the below photos show the frame with an original paint 1940 Huffman Zephyr 3-rib tank I was trying out just for kicks.

I am trying to determine dating of the bicycle and have some questions for our CABE community. I am guessing late 1937. Unfortunately the fork has a period braze repair at the crown so the date code cannot be read. The rear hub has a G3 date code(3rd Qtr 1937) but the rims have been swapped out so maybe the hubs have been as well. In spring 1938 Opalescent Maroon was an offered color for this model and the Wald #3 stem is illustrated as being used instead of the "putter stem." The bike shown in the advertisement also sports a kickstand which the below bike has but holes for a drop stand are also present. The rear drop stand mounting holes show paint wear so I believe the kickstand was added later and likely was not original to the bike.

My questions:
Does anyone have any original 1937 literature for this bike?
I would be interested in knowing if the Opalescent Maroon color was available in 1937?
When do kick stands show up on these bikes and what model kick stand was used?
Did Firestone ever sell this model with a chrome chain guard or was this swapped out or upgraded? Does anyone know what color the Delta torpedo light should be painted for this model (were they painted to match the frame color)?
What are the correct grips for Huffman built Firestone bikes?

I still need a few things to finish the bike: correct pedals: Persons Streamline, a 1937/38 Zephyr 3-rib tank, possibly a drop stand and clip, and proper grips. If anyone has the correct 9 hole rack with the book strap holes in original Opalescent Maroon paint I would glady purchase it or would trade; I have one in OG paint: National Blue, and another in black. Any help with these would be appreciated.

Thank you for all your help answering the questions so I can get this bicycle in proper running order.

Kindly,

Brant Mackley

View attachment 668754 View attachment 668753 View attachment 668752 View attachment 668750 View attachment 668751
Looking good Brantley, nice looking bike!

Compass
Firestone Supreme.jpg

Nice forensic work, Brant!
Thanks Marty for posting the Hull Compass advertisement.

I have been corrected about my chain guard theory. Apparently there has never been an original Firestone guard found in chrome. It has been suggested the guard was stamped from "pre-plated" metal sheeting. Has anyone else seen an original Firestone guard with a similar treatment? The below girls bike, in original paint, has plating exposed on its' guard. The difference: chrome was an option on the crow's beak guard; possibly it was painted over at the factory to satisfy an order?

IMG_6999.JPG
IMG_6999.JPG

The below Huffman built Firestone Fleetwood Supreme arrived in Santa Fe a few days ago; thank you Brady @Clark58mx ! I have been working on removing three layers of paint (green, burgundy, cherry red) to get it back to the original which is: Opalescent Maroon with white head tube and decorative elements. I still have much more to do; the fine detailing always takes the longest with paint removal... The chain guard had its original chrome finish under the paint. Some of the below photos show the frame with an original paint 1940 Huffman Zephyr 3-rib tank I was trying out just for kicks.

I am trying to determine dating of the bicycle and have some questions for our CABE community. I am guessing late 1937. Unfortunately the fork has a period braze repair at the crown so the date code cannot be read. The rear hub has a G3 date code(3rd Qtr 1937) but the rims have been swapped out so maybe the hubs have been as well. In spring 1938 Opalescent Maroon was an offered color for this model and the Wald #3 stem is illustrated as being used instead of the "putter stem." The bike shown in the advertisement also sports a kickstand which the below bike has but holes for a drop stand are also present. The rear drop stand mounting holes show paint wear so I believe the kickstand was added later and likely was not original to the bike.

My questions:
Does anyone have any original 1937 literature for this bike?
I would be interested in knowing if the Opalescent Maroon color was available in 1937?
When do kick stands show up on these bikes and what model kick stand was used?
Did Firestone ever sell this model with a chrome chain guard or was this swapped out or upgraded? Does anyone know what color the Delta torpedo light should be painted for this model (were they painted to match the frame color)?
What are the correct grips for Huffman built Firestone bikes?

I still need a few things to finish the bike: correct pedals: Persons Streamline, a 1937/38 Zephyr 3-rib tank, possibly a drop stand and clip, and proper grips. If anyone has the correct 9 hole rack with the book strap holes in original Opalescent Maroon paint I would glady purchase it or would trade; I have one in OG paint: National Blue, and another in black. Any help with these would be appreciated.

Thank you for all your help answering the questions so I can get this bicycle in proper running order.

Kindly,

Brant Mackley

View attachment 668754 View attachment 668753 View attachment 668752 View attachment 668750 View attachment 668751

Please explain how you removed the other layers of paint, but left the original pain in such nice shape! Thanks in advance!

Back