When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CABErs Riding Classics

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@Velocipedist Co. and BabygirlVelocipedist
Screenshot_20170917-121801.jpg

Screenshot_20170917-121617.jpg

@Velocipedist Co.
Screenshot_20170917-120943.jpg

Screenshot_20170917-121214.jpg

after looking at the photos I have determined that 75% of vintage bike people have their seats way too low for efficient pedaling. your leg should be almost straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke.
I'm a mountainbiker, also, and have my mountainbike set up like that.
One thing I have noticed is old bikes cockpits are smaller. Old bikes seats won't go up far enough.
I think people used to be shorter, or just completely smaller, or something.
I have also noticed my feet are too wide for most vintage pedals, and my hands are too wide for vintage grips.
Overall, vintage bikes just seem to be smaller than modern bikes.
Maybe they just didn't have the studies or technology to realize the inefficiency. Maybe people just didn't go out and ride 50 miles for fun or fitness like nowadays.
I know any of my vintage bikes with the seat at a "proper" height would look goofy, and then the handlebars would be too low, anyway.
I only ride my vintage bikes a few miles at a time, so I just deal with getting some different muscles exercised than normal.

^^^^^^I ride like I am on a 50 lb road bike. I like to get the heart rate up, which is much harder to do sitting low. I have a buddy who I would bet has never gone more than 5 MPH on his old bike.... that is not me. I don't ride with him at all.

I suppose each to their own & if all you're getting from this thread of other cabers riding & enjoying their great bicycles is that the seat is too low .. then well ....

Everyone I know & ride with sets their bikes up how they like to ride them - If your fortunate enough to buy one of their bikes when they decide sell it - by all means - set the bike how you like to ride it

I ride road bikes - mountain bikes - vintage 26 bmx bikes - big tire snow & sand bikes - etc ... I'm never sore from riding - maybe I ride too often to get sore

The ideal position of seat - bars - etc depends on type of ride for me - most of the balloon bikes I ride you can only adjust the seat so high - I like the seat low though - the balloon bicycles are tighter geometry & were originally intended for children to ride anyways

Oddly enough the topic of our seat being to low - according to others - has never been a topic of conversation as we are enjoying our bicycle rides - hmmmm - Simply out enjoying the day on a ride on the strand or local vintage bicycle ride with friends - fellow cabers or bicycle enthusiast who roll slow & take in conversation & the day - we ride slow - not a race - not trying to optimize my perfect seat position for perfect cadence for my optimal performance

Ridden not Hidden - Frank

Last edited:
One of the guys always puts his saddle all the way down, just because the bike looks better that way.
It's all about the bike and how cool it looks.
That's like the conversation I had with a guy when I was talking about putting a springer fork on my Harley Davidson FXDL.
He said, "What about the ride quality?"
I replied, that if I was concerned about the ride quality, I wouldn't be riding a Harley Davidson,
I'd be riding a BMW. Lol!

I suppose each to their own & if all you're getting from this thread of other cabers riding & enjoying their great bicycles is that the seat is too low .. then well ....

Everyone I know & ride with sets their bikes up how they like to ride them - If you buy their bike when they sell it - by all means - set the bike how you like to ride it

I ride road bikes - mountain bikes - vintage 26 bmx bikes - big tire snow & sand bikes - etc ... I'm never sore from riding - maybe I ride too often to get sore

The ideal position of seat - bars - etc depends on type of ride for me - most of the balloon bikes I ride you can only adjust the seat so high - I like the seat low though - the balloon bicycles are tighter geometry & were originally intended for children to ride anyways

Oddly enough the topic of our seat being to low - according to others - has never been a topic of conversation as we are enjoying our bicycle rides - hmmmm - Simply out enjoying the day on a ride on the strand or local vintage bicycle ride with friends - fellow cabers or bicycle enthusiast who roll slow & take in conversation & the day - we ride slow - not a race - not trying to optimize my perfect seat position for perfect cadence for my optimal performance

Ridden not Hidden - Frank
Well said Frank. Like you said the purpose of this thread is to show people enjoying their bikes. If I wanted to discuss the ideal riding geometry I'd be on a different site! V/r Shawn

@Freqman1 very comfortable on my '40 Twin Flex!
DSC_0090.JPG

Back