When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was There Really A 1949 Model Phantom?

-

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Or is there a model year misconception due to the 1949 serial numbers associated to the bike? Was the Phantom actually released and sold in 1949? If so, when, and is there any Schwinn literature stating a release date for the Phantom?
Any hard facts on this would be appreciated!

Didn't they come out around Xmas of 49?

I think you are correct. No facts yet proving there were Phantoms produced for the 1949 model year.

It seems that everyone believes there were actually1949 model Phantoms due to the fact they had a late 4th quarter 1949 serial number. Schwinn's model year changeover usually started with bikes wearing November and later serial numbers, and in some cases slightly earlier than November. The 1950 Phantom apparently had an early release or debut in late 49 for Christmas sales and technically they were not a 1949 model. The earliest real Phantom serial number I've personally come across had a very late October stamping. If anyone has some info that would verify a legitimate 1949 model Phantom please share it.

A couple brand new models that had an early release, and I'm sure there were a few more.
1954 Jaguar ballooner
1957 Jaguar middleweight
1958 Tornado

Last edited:
I think you are correct. No facts yet proving there were Phantoms produced for the 1949 model year.

It seems that everyone believes there were actually1949 model Phantoms due to the fact they had a late 4th quarter 1949 serial number. Schwinn's model year changeover usually started with bikes wearing November and later serial numbers, and in some cases slightly earlier than November. The 1950 Phantom apparently had an early release or debut in late 49 for Christmas sales and technically they were not a 1949 model. The earliest real Phantom serial number I've personally come across had a very late October stamping. If anyone has some info that would verify a legitimate 1949 model Phantom please share it.

A couple brand new models that had an early release, and I'm sure there were a few more.
1954 Jaguar ballooner
1957 Jaguar middleweight

AS A TEEN BACK IN THE DAY, I HEARD THAT THE 1949 MODELS CAME OUT IN THE FALL
OF THE YEAR. SO THE BLACK PHANTOM WOULD HAVE COME OUT BY DEC. OF '48 FOR
CHRISTMAS.

AND THE 1950 RED AND GREEN PHANTOMS LIKE WISE CAME OUT IN THE
FALL OF 1949, I HAD A RED PHANTOM SERIAL NUMBER DATED LATE '49, THAT
COULD HAVE COME OUT FOR CHRISTMAS.

I DON'T HAVE THE RED PHANTOM ANYMORE, BUT THE NEW OWNER A CABER
HAS IT AND CAN CONFIRM THE SERIAL NUMBER DATE. ANY ONE WITH AN
EARLY BLACK PHANTOM CAN YOU CHECK OUT THE SERIAL NUMBER.

ANOTHER INTERESTING FACT. THE FIRST PHANTOMS HAD A MESINGER
B-1 STYLE NOT THE DEEP SKIRTED PHANTOM SEAT WE ALL KNOW.
I HAVE SEEN IT IN SCHWINN ADS.

THE EARLY PHANTOMS DID NOT HAVE A DECAL 'BLACK PHANTOM' ON THE
CHAINGUARD. THE EARLY RED PHANTOM DID NOT HAVE THE 'PHANTOM'
DECAL EITHER.

AND THE PHANTOM STYLE REAR CARRIER TAIL/BREAK LIGHT WAS AVAILABLE
AS AN OPTION ON THE I948 B 607 AUTOCYCLE.
I HAVE SEEN AN EARLY AD FOR IT.

Last edited:
I have SN S300146. Probably November 2nd or 3rd 1949. No Phantom decal on the guard.

I can imagine a few reasons why the first batch or two didn't have a guard decal. Not every Schwinn during this time was named or had a name decal on the guard. The first production Corvette 5 speeds had proto decals so it seems the decaling decision on this new mid year model was a WTF do we do situation.

AS A TEEN BACK IN THE DAY, I HEARD THAT THE 1949 MODELS CAME OUT IN THE FALL
OF THE YEAR. SO THE BLACK PHANTOM WOULD HAVE COME OUT BY DEC. OF * ('48) FOR
CHRISTMAS.

I definitely would not call a new model being released in the fall of 1949 a 1949 model. That would be nuts in any type of product line. If it was released in June July then it could be considered a NEW 1949 model. Years ago all the American car manufactures had their new model year cars on the lots in Sept but they were not considered that years new models. The 57 middleweight Jaguar was also released early but nobody considers those as a 1956 model.

* Error on the year.

I definitely would not call a new model being released in the fall of 1949 a 1949 model. That would be nuts in any type of product line. If it was released in June July then it could be considered a NEW 1949 model. Years ago all the American car manufactures had their new model year cars on the lots in Sept but they were not considered that years new models. The 57 middleweight Jaguar was also released early but nobody considers those as a 1956 model.

* Error on the year.

Sounds similar to the 1964.5 Ford Mustang debate.

FWIW, my old Raleigh frame s/n dated May '76, and purchased in the fall of '76, is outfitted and cataloged as a '77 model.
My International frame dated Aug '74, is definitely a '75 model.

Last edited:
Back