When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was There Really A 1949 Model Phantom?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-a
~
%
OAuth Error:2001

z
Hey Guys,
Lots of discussion about this question... It is more simple than that to me anyway. If a Phantom has a `49 Serial Number---It is a `49, no matter when it was sold...
It was made in `49 and is a `49. Pretty easy...------------Cowboy
But, have fun with your discussions...

It's a good topic.....This was discussed in some detail on another forum. Harvie had/has a # FO75##3 Phantom build date 5-4-49... To me that would be a 49 I don't care when it was sold. This link also mentions a 49 twice but I suppose it could be false. http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/schwinnbike.htm Also the Anniversary Phantoms were advertised as reproductions of the 49 Phantoms, that is why their serial numbers run G000001 through G0005000 1949 had a number run from G000100 to G003166. I would like to believe it's more than a coincidence.

Classic Schwinn Bicycles published by William Love MBI 2003 page 52 is pretty clear to me there was a 49 Model that was sold as a 49 model. I think we're all good here.

Actually teh discussion starts on page 51 but offers nothing definitive other than the authors words that the Phantom was introduced in 1949. A May serial number on the other hand certainly would indicate a '49 release date. Any pics of Harvie's bike? V/r Shawn

Personally I want to believe there were 49's. or that 49 serial numbers are technically 49's. So in this situation I would be defending that claim. The skeptics have the burden to disprove my claim, and that can't be done. LOL see below:

If the judge or jury believes the plaintiff ( AKA skeptic) and defendant equally, the plaintiff has failed to meet his burden of proof and his claim must fail. In other words, the tie goes to the defendant. The defendant does not have to prove anything. The defense is free to simply poke holes in the case of the plaintiff, skeptic.

Hey Guys,
Lots of discussion about this question... It is more simple than that to me anyway. If a Phantom has a `49 Serial Number---It is a `49, no matter when it was sold...
It was made in `49 and is a `49. Pretty easy...------------Cowboy
But, have fun with your discussions...

That will screw you up when trying to pin point a model year. Lets take for example a bike with a late year serial number and it was built with the next years decals, paint color and components. What then? A 1963 Varsity is completely different than a 64 Varsity but the 64 has a 1963 serial number so what year would that new 64 be? Being dumb to the facts when they are right in your face would be?..................stupid?

That will screw you up when trying to pin point a model year. Lets take for example a bike with a late year serial number and it was built with the next years decals, paint color and components. What then? A 1963 Varsity is completely different than a 64 Varsity but the 64 has a 1963 serial number so what year would that new 64 be? Being dumb to the facts when they are right in your face would be?..................stupid?
You want to be right? Okay you`re right. You want to argue? You picked the wrong one. How did we get from Phantoms to Varsities anyway?
You guys

You want to be right? Okay, You`re right. You want to argue? You picked the wrong one. How did we get from Phantoms to Varsities anyway?
We`re talking about 1949 Phantoms. Every publication about Bicycles that I`ve ever read said that Phantoms were made between 1949 and 1959.
And unless you were there, they were. We also have serial numbers to back it up... If a guy finds a rusty `36 Shelby- the first thing he wants to know is what year it was made. The general advice here is- check the Serial Number... A rough `55 Phantom-- the same thing and a rough `63 Varsity -the same thing. You Guys that want to argue against Serial Numbers---- just like to argue...
I`m going to bed... A Varsity is a different Coyote--- God Bless,---Cowboy

Cowboy is only expressing an opinion, which is what you're doing. The supposition that Schwinn cared about model years like the car manufacturers seems to be an opinion. I haven't seen anything circa 1950 that shows how Schwinn followed model years. What Schwinn did in the sixties with Varsitys' isn't the same thing. Perhaps they did follow model years like the car makers by then. But what were they doing in 1949/50?

I'd like to see any supporting evidence as to how Schwinn used model years to describe/define their bikes at the time the Phantom was introduced. Does anyone have the trade magazines of the time? My last American Bicyclist issue is May 1949 (no mention of the Phantom yet). I'm sure Schwinn would have had an ad for it in 49, even if it wasn't available until Christmas. And there were usually write ups of upcoming bikes from the manufacturers in the issues as well. Those write ups usually were at the end or the beginning of the year and would describe the upcoming bikes. (i.e. ; For 1950, Schwinn announces the new Phantom)

Last edited:
You want to be right? Okay you`re right. You want to argue? You picked the wrong one. How did we get from Phantoms to Varsities anyway?
You guys

You want to be right? Okay, You`re right. You want to argue? You picked the wrong one. How did we get from Phantoms to Varsities anyway?
We`re talking about 1949 Phantoms. Every publication about Bicycles that I`ve ever read said that Phantoms were made between 1949 and 1959.
And unless you were there, they were. We also have serial numbers to back it up... If a guy finds a rusty `36 Shelby- the first thing he wants to know is what year it was made. The general advice here is- check the Serial Number... A rough `55 Phantom-- the same thing and a rough `63 Varsity -the same thing. You Guys that want to argue against Serial Numbers---- just like to argue...
I`m going to bed... A Varsity is a different Coyote--- God Bless,---Cowboy

I'm not arguing. The fact that the first produced new models had the previous years serial number is my point. The difference between the 63 and 64 Varsity is easily distinguished and a Phantom from year to year not so much. So what would you think when you see a 1964 model Varsity with a November 63 serial number and the 63 serial numbered 64 looks nothing like a 63 model.
Another example. The 1962 Corvette 5 speed began with the November 27, 1961 serial numbers. The difference between the 61 and 62 was slight but very definitive. The 61 had cad plated fender braces and kick stand, the 62 models had chrome fender braces and kickstand. The 61 models had brazed on tube cable guides and the 62 had U shaped lightweight style cable guides that were spot welded on. The seats and lights were also different. The early ballooners had changes over the years but many times there were no changes from one year to the next so it's hard to distinguish what the actual year is and everyone assumes that the serial number date is the build date and the bikes model year. If a new year model B6 had a December 23rd SN from the previous year it would be easy to say that bike was that years model, but that definitely would not be the case. Anyone can believe what they want, but the facts are out there and it just takes a minute to see them.

Back