When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

26" Cruiser front wheel removal trick????

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PAValentine

Finally riding a big boys bike
Any tricks to removing a front wheel from a fork that has a slot only on the right side. Axel hole only on the left side.
I ain't strong enough to spread the fork wide enough, and if I was I'd be afraid of damaging the fork.
Right now I'm threading the axel way to the right until the left is short enough to pry out of the hole. But that is kind of a drag!
Is there a better way????
Thanks in advance!
Paul

How about the real oldies that both holes were not slotted? I have an early Peerless and had to do the thread it one way, tilt, spread, then thread it the other way. Took me an hour just to put the front wheel on that thing.

Mike
102_4279.JPG

Wow! I guess having to thread it one way only ain’t so bad! I guess they want to force you to adjust the bearings every time you have to patch the tube????

My 41 Colson has a blade fork with 2holes and no slots. After pulling my hair out, I bit the bullit. I used both hands and pulled one blade off the axle, and repeated on the other side. It really went quickly and smoothly. I would suggest wearing mechanics gloves.

Thanks...I might try that next time. I wasn't sure how much strain the forks could handle without damage. They seem sprung very slightly now, so I suppose that has been done before.
My 41 Colson has a blade fork with 2holes and no slots. After pulling my hair out, I bit the bullit. I used both hands and pulled one blade off the axle, and repeated on the other side. It really went quickly and smoothly. I would suggest wearing mechanics gloves.
I guess both hands, and both feet as near the wheel axel as possible!

Back