When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

26" Cruiser front wheel removal trick????

-
Yeah I just bow up on them as well, no workout required. Believe me as well built as these bikes are and the quality of the steel you won't hurt them very much.

When you get the wheel off, cut your axel down so it is easier to reinstall and remove in the future. leave just enough thread so that the washer and nut are flush with the end of the axel.

Any tricks to removing a front wheel from a fork that has a slot only on the right side. Axel hole only on the left side.
I ain't strong enough to spread the fork wide enough, and if I was I'd be afraid of damaging the fork.
Right now I'm threading the axel way to the right until the left is short enough to pry out of the hole. But that is kind of a drag!
Is there a better way????
Thanks in advance!
Paul

it's a good idea, maybe it should a requirement for everyone on the Cabe, especially new members to read the restoration tips thread in it's entirety. Cutting down an axle, or busting one's knuckles is not an option for changing a wheel. Lots of good tips and information stashed in those past threads, certainly everything one needs to know about bicycle forks. For these bikes and especially the Colsons and old Hawthorne springers, first set your bike upside down next to a closed door. [ one thing we all have.] With the front end of your bike next to the door, take a short length of rope and tie one end around the door knob, the other to the top end of one fork blade. With your wheel unbolted, grasp the opposite blade with one hand and pull the bade outwards, and lift the wheel out with your other hand. reverse for installation.. No busted knuckles, no swearing. My wife changes Stubborn Colson forks all the time, with no problems.;)

it's a good idea, maybe it should a requirement for everyone on the Cabe, especially new members to read the restoration tips thread in it's entirety. Cutting down an axle, or busting one's knuckles is not an option for changing a wheel. Lots of good tips and information stashed in those past threads, certainly everything one needs to know about bicycle forks. For these bikes and especially the Colsons and old Hawthorne springers, first set your bike upside down next to a closed door. [ one thing we all have.] With the front end of your bike next to the door, take a short length of rope and tie one end around the door knob, the other to the top end of one fork blade. With your wheel unbolted, grasp the opposite blade with one hand and pull the bade outwards, and lift the wheel out with your other hand. reverse for installation.. No busted knuckles, no swearing. My wife changes Stubborn Colson forks all the time, with no problems.;)
Good tip,I'll have your wife come over and do mine the next time.

Back