When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cutting and forming sheet metal

-

partsguy

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
All, I have a question. Perhaps, you might have an answer. I am trying to make the bracket below. The left side is a rough prototype, which I refined last night to perfection. I have the tools to cut and bend this to the perfect shape. The only problem I ran into was trying to cut out the half-circle tab at the end. Dad is an engineer and taught me the basics of designing and cutting metal. Taught me everything I know on building things, actually.

However, neither of us know for sure how to cut this hole out without using a stamping press (which is how Huffman did it in the 50's). We tried drilling a small hole at the start and using two different router bits for a Dremel. The first would not cut the steel, it would jump around and ream out the groove. The second bit could not be made to turn.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would like to get this done, it's a favor for a member who helped me out.

Thank you in advance!

db256752d5bfbc1e248472e2ac2bf1e2-jpg.jpg

drill a bigger hole and shape it with a carbide bit or sanding drum

Sanding drums are too big (if what I am thinking of is a rubber end with a sandpaper cylinder over it). But the carbide bit is a possibility. Is there maybe a really small jig saw of sorts that, once I drill the pilot hole, can just cut out what I need?

If just the one item, I'd suggest trying a diamond-coated coping saw blade for the rough cut, then finishing with a small half-round file. In fact, the file alone is probably adequate.

Last edited:
If just the one item, I'd suggest trying a diamond-coated coping saw blade for the rough cut, then finishing with a small half-round file. In fact, the file alone is probably adequate.

I do have some very small files for such a job. I like the coping saw idea, and Andrew's jewler saw idea. Slow and steady wins the race!!

I think I will try the coping saw and jeweler's saw methods. Much more precise and more controlled. Thanks, guys!!

Back