When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Typhoon balloon tires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PlasticNerd

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
where is a good source to buy 26" typhoon tires, original or repop? Are they still making the tycoon? I love the way they ride so smooth, and the 2.125" width looks killer. Thanks all

Bicyclebones on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Ty...293603&hash=item4d65e1103b:g:YaAAAOSw8lBTojUB

There is a story on eBay about the Typhoons made by Coker being better than my Schwinn Approved tires. This is not the truth. Coker made their tires in Vietnam and the material is much less quality. The side walls have very poor definition. My tires are made in Taiwan. The tooling and materials for tires have been in Taiwan for ages and no other company can make tires as well as Taiwan. Not China not Vietnam not anyone. Besides Coker never had a license to make any Schwinn Tire. I am the Schwinn licensee and have communication with Schwinn. No tires have been made in the USA since 1976. They pirated the tires they made. BEWARE OF THE FAKES ON EBAY THEY HAVE SCHWINN TYCOON ON THEM AND NOT SCHWINN TYPHOON LIKE MY SCHWINN APPROVED TYPHOON SETS. THE QUALITY OF THESE FAKES IS POOR JUST LIKE THE PHOTO THE PIRATE USES IN THE FAKE LISTING. Mine are Top quality Schwinn Approved 26x2.125 fits all standard 26" balloon tire bicycle rims. Schwinn Approved new in original packaging excellent quality. Has Schwinn Typhoon Cord embossed in the sides and are exactly as the originals.

thats right!! some of the "other mig"tires are real flimsy/hard to mount,no body!

The repro tires out there are mixed quality in my humble opinion. I've owned and ridden balloon tires ( mainly original rubber/some repop) for 30+ years. John's chains seem to be the best repro's so far, and I've ridden lots on them.

The repro Typhoons are a decent tire in my opinion ( and genuine Schwinn licensed by Dan, a rock solid guy/ asset to the hobby), but the size in "girth" falls a bit short from the originals. I've been running the Coker Tycoons for a couple of years ( lots of miles) and they are in fact "checking/spider cracks" on the sidewalls. That happens with any new tires no matter where they are made/China comes to mind being the worst. (They don't use the same quality materials used back in the "day").The cushion ride ( albeit harder to pedal) is a feeling I can compare to a nicely broken in pair of jeans, runners,vintage car or m/c ride, or a riding an original bike, opposed to a repop. It's all relative to your taste and needs.

The Tycoons still ride nicely, and I trust them so far. They are quite "beefy" and of course take a higher pressure, like all the repro's. If you ride lots, you appreciate the "roll factor" of higher pressure tires and more security from a blowout. That said, I have ridden, owned/own, and still ride original tires on occasion.

(Again, my opinion only) Generally a bike with Patina deserves a set of correct original tires with equal wear, even if it's just for display, then repops for the long ride If you choose. A resto looks best with NOS correct original rubber, but supply and price are usually a factor. I think it's a shame to spend lots of time and $$ on any vintage project ( car, m/c, bicycle, etc.) then "skimp" or "drop the ball" on the tires or rims. I see some KILLER vintage cars, bikes etc. that look incredible, but have "lame" rims or dirty, incorrect tires, incorrect period whitewalls/redwalls, no walls.

Many of us have opted for lots of the modern FAT rubber that is available now for our ballooners, or solid rubber for the early projects/rides. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal taste. I mean the hobby is about having fun and enjoying our rides/displays. Exchanging opinions, ideas, pictures, advice and humour on the CABE just adds to the fun. Ride on...

The repro tires out there are mixed quality in my humble opinion. I've owned and ridden balloon tires ( mainly original rubber/some repop) for 30+ years. John's chains seem to be the best repro's so far, and I've ridden lots on them.

The repro Typhoons are a decent tire in my opinion ( and genuine Schwinn licensed by Dan, a rock solid guy/ asset to the hobby), but the size in "girth" falls a bit short from the originals. I've been running the Coker Tycoons for a couple of years ( lots of miles) and they are in fact "checking/spider cracks" on the sidewalls. That happens with any new tires no matter where they are made/China comes to mind being the worst. (They don't use the same quality materials used back in the "day").The cushion ride ( albeit harder to pedal) is a feeling I can compare to a nicely broken in pair of jeans, runners,vintage car or m/c ride, or a riding an original bike, opposed to a repop. It's all relative to your taste and needs.

The Tycoons still ride nicely, and I trust them so far. They are quite "beefy" and of course take a higher pressure, like all the repro's. If you ride lots, you appreciate the "roll factor" of higher pressure tires and more security from a blowout. That said, I have ridden, owned/own, and still ride original tires on occasion.

(Again, my opinion only) Generally a bike with Patina deserves a set of correct original tires with equal wear, even if it's just for display, then repops for the long ride If you choose. A resto looks best with NOS correct original rubber, but supply and price are usually a factor. I think it's a shame to spend lots of time and $$ on any vintage project ( car, m/c, bicycle, etc.) then "skimp" or "drop the ball" on the tires or rims. I see some KILLER vintage cars, bikes etc. that look incredible, but have "lame" rims or dirty, incorrect tires, incorrect period whitewalls/redwalls, no walls.

Many of us have opted for lots of the modern FAT rubber that is available now for our ballooners, or solid rubber for the early projects/rides. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal taste. I mean the hobby is about having fun and enjoying our rides/displays. Exchanging opinions, ideas, pictures, advice and humour on the CABE just adds to the fun. Ride on...
I️ have a few pair of original typhoon balloon tires, just want some for “riders” don’t want to wear out or pop my orig ones !! Thsnks for all the input it’s appreciated

...? Are they still making the tycoon? I love the way they ride so smooth, and the 2.125" width looks killer. Thanks all

Yes the Typhoon is still made, though they look kinda weird (to me, anyway).
Rgrcvaf.jpg

2017 Typhoon - $430.00
Call me Old-fashion, but I prefer the Classics
oR0bsfO.jpg

1964 Typhoon - Priceless

Back