When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleveland Welding S/N Project...See Page 58 Post 576 for chart

-
I think I've posted this earlier but Phil is very knowledgeable on CWC dating.....
The key to dating your bike is the Cw symbol stamped after the end of the serial number. CWC ran through the same serial numbers several times from 1935 through 1956 and for postwar bikes the key to dating them is to first recognize the features that define them as postwar frames and then look for the symbol that follows the serial number. Bikes with the Cw stamp were from the second postwar run through the alphabet and the first bikes in this series rarely have the Cw stamp. By the time “D” was reached the suffix stamp became quite commonplace, probably to begin separating the series from the first wartime or postwar “D” serialed bikes. My best data-modeled estimate is that the Cw series was produced from 1947 through 1949. The exact transition from the first series to the second series is still debatable so I have slid the scale a bit several times to try to align it with actual bikes, ads, and other factors to come up with the most likely scenario. The second postwar serial number series bikes were produced with serial numbers ranging from A00001 through J99999, assumedly in sequence. A bike with a “D” serial number would, following this logic, have a build date in approximately mid 1948.

#63 RMS37, Feb 21, 2011
That chart above, has the dates of C series and if the D series was started on the date it says the next series placement would be that D series Started August 1947.

That line goes on too. Saying the run ended in September. Yet it is followed with the year 1952. The periods of the other, prior runs are about the same length. I think it possible September is the line you're looking for; 'The transition from the first series to the second'.

[edit] No, not Sept. exactly, the transition in the D Series would be during Aug. through Sept. 1947. chop that in half, then, September is your sugar daddy.

Last edited:
Picked this up an antique mall. I had no clue what it was but thought it looked pretty cool. The vendor said it was a 50s era Schwinn. I've owned Schwinn's most of my life and knew it wasn't. I discovered through the CABE that it was indeed a CWC. I'm still not sure of the year. 1940?

IMG_7048.jpg

IMG_7013.jpg

IMG_7036 copy 2.jpg

IMG_7017.jpg

Picked this up an antique mall. I had no clue what it was but thought it looked pretty cool. The vendor said it was a 50s era Schwinn. I've owned Schwinn's most of my life and knew it wasn't. I discovered through the CABE that it was indeed a CWC. I'm still not sure of the year. 1940?

View attachment 712075

View attachment 712076

View attachment 712077

View attachment 712078
Nice pictures! I see now what they mean when they say the earlier drop-outs were bead welded instead of spot welded.

Nice pictures! I see now what they mean when they say the earlier drop-outs were bead welded instead of spot welded.
Not the prettiest welds back there so kind of surprised since most of the frame joints are smoothed out. Frame feels rock solid. Wonder how carbon fiber will hold up 80 years from now?

Not the prettiest welds back there so kind of surprised since most of the frame joints are smoothed out. Frame feels rock solid. Wonder how carbon fiber will hold up 80 years from now?

Nothing like good old steel, UV is the biggest foe of Carbon fiber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked this up from another CABE member. So perhaps it has appeared in this thread before, but I couldn't find it if is. The seller said he thought it was a 1947 or there about....
The serial number gets fainter as the numbering progresses, like maybe the person stamping the numbers was running out of steam as he progressed with the duty, but the number appears to be A38080 with the CW very very faint. Almost lost. It must have been about quiting time...LOL...
I plan to repaint it as up close and personal the paint job leaves a lot to be desired!. But, I can't find much of anything as a guide to proper paint design and colors. Does anything even exist?
Any thoughts on this bike would be appreciated.
IMG_0591 copy.jpg
IMG_0592 copy.jpg
IMG_0593 copy.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg

I have a bike that I bought from a thrift shop in the early eighties. I was a young bike mechanic and I promptly refreshed the grease in the hubs, BB and headset. I rode it a very little and it has been sitting in my parents basement ever since. Lately I've been smitten by mid-nineties vintage bikes and I'd like this rather nice classic bike to find a new home.

IMG_3316.JPG

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3318.JPG

IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

IMG_3321.JPG

IMG_3323.JPG

IMG_3324.JPG

I just sent you a message try2bfast.

I may be interested and I'm in California as well.

Check your in box or you can email me [email protected]

Eddie

Last edited:
Back