When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where can I find Schwinn fore brake spokes?

-
The wheel pictured, was laced with a cross four pattern on the low flange side and a cross three pattern on the high flange side.
Typically, you find them laced cross four on both flanges, and that's why you can use the same length spokes for both sides.
The ideal pattern for a wire spoke wheel, is to have the inbound spoke parallel or tangent with the out bound spoke on the opposite side of the flange.
The diameter of the flange doesn't affect the length of the spoke until you stretch it to the extreme.
Think of a rectangle.
Now start stretching the short length of the rectangle.
Does it affect the length of the long dimension?
No.
You can stretch the short sides until you make it square, and it still doesn't affect the long dimension.
10-5/8" for 26x2.125 balloon tire rim.
It doesn't matter if the hub is a large or small flange.

I'd like to see a picture of the hub with a 4 cross on the high side.

The wheel pictured, was laced with a cross four pattern on the low flange side and a cross three pattern on the high flange side.
Typically, you find them laced cross four on both flanges, and that's why you can use the same length spokes for both sides.
The ideal pattern for a wire spoke wheel, is to have the inbound spoke parallel or tangent with the out bound spoke on the opposite side of the flange.
The diameter of the flange doesn't affect the length of the spoke until you stretch it to the extreme.
Think of a rectangle.
Now start stretching the short length of the rectangle.
Does it affect the length of the long dimension?
No.
You can stretch the short sides until you make it square, and it still doesn't affect the long dimension.
10-5/8" for 26x2.125 balloon tire rim.
It doesn't matter if the hub is a large or small flange.
Thanks Marty for the help. that's great info.

I'd like to see a picture of the hub with a 4 cross on the high side.

3BA1BD81-290A-4108-9753-61B51CD45468.jpeg

All 3 are 4x both sides

I THINK THE CROSS OVER FOUR SPOKES WAS INDUSTRY STANDARD UNTIL
SCHWINN CAME OUT WITH THE 'S-7 RIM WHICH WAS A CROSS OVER THREE SPOKE PATTERN.

I THINK THE CROSS OVER FOUR SPOKES WAS INDUSTRY STANDARD UNTIL
SCHWINN CAME OUT WITH THE 'S-7 RIM WHICH WAS A CROSS OVER THREE SPOKE PATTERN.

I always wondered why they switched. It's either that it saved a small bit of weight (not likely) or the cross 3 pattern is stronger (more likely). It sure is easy only having to worry about one size of spokes though on the cross 4 pattern no matter what size of hub you use.

I always wondered why they switched. It's either that it saved a small bit of weight (not likely) or the cross 3 pattern is stronger (more likely). It sure is easy only having to worry about one size of spokes though on the cross 4 pattern no matter what size of hub you use.

SO TRUE!
I BELIEVE THE FOUR CROSSOVER FOUR WOULD BE STRONGER THAN THREE!
AND THEY SAY THE UNDER CROSSING OF THE SPOKES IS STRONGER,
BUT THE JURY IS OUT ON THAT!

Back