When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Monark Flo-Cycle

-
I'm working on a Flo-Cycle frame right now too. I didn't take the frame apart but was very curious about the internals of the assemble. This thread is a great guide!
Polishing is tedious to say the least.
Would love to see the work that you're doing. Post a couple of fotos, or more!

Great project and awesome job on all the work.

Did I see a high wheeler in your second post last photo? Some day I hope to have one.

Can't seem to load any photos. But, yes Lou, that is a high wheel in that picture. I'll try to load a shot or two of interest tomorrow.
Well, it's almost tomorrow, and here're the pics.
54" High Wheel Unicycle. Fun
image.jpeg

56" 1885 Rational. The rationals were mild safeties in that they had a slightly longer wheelbase than the ordinaries. The rear wheels were a tad bigger, and the forks had just a little bit more rake.
image.jpeg

Thanks for the pics.

Very cool unicycle. Is it a Tom Miller unicycle from Unicycle Factory? I ride a 36" diameter unicycle that has a pneumatic tire. I love it.

The 1885 Rational is beautiful. At this time, is it only a show bike or do you still ride it?

Thanks for the pics.

Very cool unicycle. Is it a Tom Miller unicycle from Unicycle Factory? I ride a 36" diameter unicycle that has a pneumatic tire. I love it.

The 1885 Rational is beautiful. At this time, is it only a show bike or do you still ride it?
Thanks for the pics.

Close, but no cigar. That big wheel was patterned after a TM, but a friend and I built it in 1984.
But, this is a Tom Miller mini giraffe, repainted. It is one of his earliest ones. The bottom bracket is merely a Schwinn unicycle bearing set-up. Tom calls it a "Traveller" because it can be geared like any chain drive, but isn't tall like most giraffes.
image.jpeg

The Rational is my rider.

image.jpeg

Close, but no cigar. That big wheel was patterned after a TM, but a friend and I built it in 1984.
But, this is a Tom Miller mini giraffe, repainted. It is one of his earliest ones. The bottom bracket is merely a Schwinn unicycle bearing set-up. Tom calls it a "Traveller" because it can be geared like any chain drive, but isn't tall like most giraffes.
View attachment 716054
The Rational is my rider.

View attachment 716053

Very cool. I met Tom a couple years ago, very interesting guy.

All the welding and twisting and filing and block sanding is done.
IMG_0492.JPG

Thought I'd better put it together in a temporary fashion just to make sure things are lining up properly. It looks like the bronze reinforcing bracket needs a little massaging on the right side before the plater burns up $$$.
IMG_0485.JPG

I'll have lots of room to squeeze in 26" wheels.
IMG_0497.JPG

I haven't decided yet how shiny to go. Right now I'm at #120 grit. Thinking seriously about buffing with a Scotchbrite, and calling it quits.
IMG_0496.JPG

I actually really like the more matte look, I think the super polished Kings are a little over done. Even though the super shiny still looks good.

Back