When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corbin & New Departure Hub Dating Project - Need everyone's help pre-1933

-
"New Departure Coaster, P.&F.Corbin. New Britain Conn.U.S.A." on cast brake arm aka "1902 Model" & Model No. 5 - 1902 (Post #264; cat. Post #280; cast brake arm, straight hub shell)

0226172220a.jpg
0226172207.jpg
0226172206a.jpg
0226172206.jpg

On Arm: "New Departure Pat No 20891 1898 21038 1900"
I've tried to find this hub on this thread, this site, and parts catalogues and can't find it. It doesn't have the tiny teeth on the brake arm and disc with three holes (parts A10 and A9 respectively). Instead it has a brake arm with three holes. It came on a bike I acquired recently which is in very original condition, and laced into a Lobdell steel lined wood rim with the patent date July 19, 1910. At first I thought this was an older version but the NOS 1908 hub posted by Pelletman in post #5 has the little teeth. The bike is a Hyslop, "manufactured" in Toronto sometime in the teens using rims and other parts sourced from the US. Would it have been cheaper to manufacture the hub without the teeth? Perhaps it was a cheaper version of the Model A used to compete in export markets? I was not able to find those patent numbers on the 'Net so I don't know if they are US patents or Canadian. Another possible explanation is that New Departure had the patent for the little teeth in the US but someone else held a similar patent in Canada.

I was hoping dating the hub could help me date the bike, but no luck so far. If anyone has any information, other theories, or pictures, please post. If someone can find those patent numbers that would be great too! Attached are photos of the hub and the bike it came on. The hub looks a bit gold in colour and I think a previous owner coated it with varnish or shellac.

NewDepA1.jpg
NewDepA2.jpg
NewDepA3.jpg
NewDepA4.jpg
NewDepA5.jpg
NewDepA6.jpg

Bought this wood wheel set (back shown). It is a 40 hole (front 32, I think) laced to the remainder of a new Departure shell.
What bike would this have been laced to? The only one I have seen with this configuration.
DSC02770.JPG
DSC02771.JPG

On Arm: "New Departure Pat No 20891 1898 21038 1900"
I've tried to find this hub on this thread, this site, and parts catalogues and can't find it. It doesn't have the tiny teeth on the brake arm and disc with three holes (parts A10 and A9 respectively). Instead it has a brake arm with three holes. It came on a bike I acquired recently which is in very original condition, and laced into a Lobdell steel lined wood rim with the patent date July 19, 1910. At first I thought this was an older version but the NOS 1908 hub posted by Pelletman in post #5 has the little teeth. The bike is a Hyslop, "manufactured" in Toronto sometime in the teens using rims and other parts sourced from the US. Would it have been cheaper to manufacture the hub without the teeth? Perhaps it was a cheaper version of the Model A used to compete in export markets? I was not able to find those patent numbers on the 'Net so I don't know if they are US patents or Canadian. Another possible explanation is that New Departure had the patent for the little teeth in the US but someone else held a similar patent in Canada.

I was hoping dating the hub could help me date the bike, but no luck so far. If anyone has any information, other theories, or pictures, please post. If someone can find those patent numbers that would be great too! Attached are photos of the hub and the bike it came on. The hub looks a bit gold in colour and I think a previous owner coated it with varnish or shellac.

View attachment 714813 View attachment 714814 View attachment 714815 View attachment 714816 View attachment 714817 View attachment 714818
Have a look at post 352 and 355. I had the bike in 355 and sold it last spring. British bike, probably Humber from what I could find. It is now in Toronto.

Back