When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Spring Cleaning

-
60 degrees in December? Absolutely will take that. DL-1 time:

20171203_151233.jpg

20171203_151244.jpg

Man, these are all beautiful bikes. Really enjoyed the thread. Thanks

Thanks.

I have a feeling my rides for this year are done. The state of Virginia put down a heavy layer of road salt and pre-treat yesterday, and we'll have maybe 1-2 inches of snow today. I have winter stored everything except the 10-speed Grand Prix. I'll be using the Grand Prix on an indoor roller. I'll use that a couple of days per week until the roads are salt-free.

The snow does not bother me so much, but road salt and pre-treat "brine" is exceedingly corrosive on steel. Riding on that stuff just makes more work in rust removal later for me. I tested out just how bad that stuff is for steel a couple of winters ago with a Schwinn 3-speed I rode over the course of the winter. I monitored how quickly rust would develop on bare spots on the bike, and it was always within 1 week of exposure, there was rust. I cleaned up the bike and decided not to ride on any of those road treatments again.

This particular bike has a 21 tooth cog on the rear and a 44 tooth front sprocket. The 44 tooth front is smaller than the usual DL-1 (standard US-spec is 48 and later 46 teeth).

Back