When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Manta Ray

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

deddings

Look Ma, No Hands!
IMG_6015.PNG
IMG_6017.PNG
IMG_6018.PNG
Hey there everyone. I am going to look at this Manta Ray after work today. These are the only pictures I got of it. Is it a total basket case? (I have not seen too many 3 speed Manta Rays (guessing this shifter is wrong too) and am having a hard time finding a black one for compassion as well.) He said he has had the bike since 1980 and that everything works as it should. Any info on what is wrong/missing, and an approximate value or fair price to pay would be much appreciated. Thanks all!

Note that the Manta-Ray was available only in a 5-speed model for '71, and only as a coaster brake or 5-speed in '72. There were no 3-speed Mantas and It was never available in black.

1971_25.jpg

1972_31.jpg

And the seat looks like the Walmart black Friday Black Sting Ray piece.

It's likely a Racer or Speedster that's been converted. Cool, but not big money cool!
I believe a Speedster or other camel back frame has straight bars for the seat stay, where as a Manta Ray's is curved (as in the black bike photo). Same goes for a 20" Speedster vs. Fastback.

I believe a Speedster or other camel back frame has straight bars for the seat stay, where as a Manta Ray's is curved (as in the black bike photo). Same goes for a 20" Speedster vs. Fastback.

Good catch. Someone had told me both frames were the same, but I think the speedster has a longer wheelbase too. I have this one and had to go check it.
s-l1600D9THFG5H.jpg

To the OP, the value is up to you in a way, how bad do you want a Manta ray? As we've discussed its probably a real 'Ray but has been redone and has some new parts. Its a cool bike regardless but if you're just looking for a 24" cruiser to bop around, a Speedster would likely be a less expensive starting point.

If the price is right and you just want a cool easy riding Schwinn ,go for it . But if you are looking for authentic Manta Ray keep looking. The bars, brake handles, stem, calipers, fenders,chainguard and frame appear to be from a Manta (the later repainted black) the rest of it will need to be sourced at considerable expense.

Thanks everyone for the info. I ended up getting the bike (at a wonderful price! i ended up knowing the seller, and we agreed it was a clone.....buuuuut after further inspection...). After bringing it home, I have noticed some intriguing things. 1. The paint is original (has the original stickers from where it was purchased in Savannah Georgia in 1972. 2. The serial number dates it to January, 1972. 3. After reviewing many of the parts, they appear to be original Manta Ray parts as well (sissy bar, even the white knobs on the bottom of bar, Schwinn approved brake, grips are Schwinn approved, . Could this have been a factory Black custom Manta Ray coaster brake (and someone later added the Bendix 3 speed?). Here are a couple more photos...(ps: I have the original fenders, just haven't put them back on yet). I didn't really understand the above comment about the speedster frame similarities/differences. Thanks again for all of the input and help. Cheers!
IMG_6132.JPG

IMG_6052.JPG

IMG_6046.JPG

IMG_6041.JPG

Back