When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sturmey Archer Tricoaster

-
The Type "S" was offered on many different bicycles between 1915 and 1917... is anyone familiar with this hub without the stamped "S"?

The "S" Hub .jpg

The English Tricoaster was identical to the US version except it has NOTTINGHAM stamped under TRICOASTER. (patented)
SA HUB Nottingham.jpg

Maybe the S stood for States.

That’s what I was thinking!

That hub was installed on many brand bikes...but it doesn't appear to have ever been made without the stamped "S". If so, I'd love to see an example of it without the "S"?

Sure, Sears owned the controlling interest of the King Sewing Machine Co., which manufactured the US Sturmey Archer Tricoaster version. Logically, the "S" could refer to Sears made or equipped bicycles! But since I can't find anything acknowledging the Sears involvement’, either with the manufacturing or distributing of the hub...I too reside that the "S" could just as easily be the signature letter for “Made in the STATES” That conjecture is just as plausible...until we have more evidence? Obviously, there's more research needed.

Last edited:
Hi,All.

It's an interesting problem, and I'd like to see one of the F marked ones, which might help. One sold on Ebay, but too long ago for the pictures to still be there.

Here's some of my thoughts. To me, S for States seems unlikely. Why do that when it's just as easy to stamp 'Made in USA' or even 'USA'. The English do call the USA "The States', but that is never abbreviated as such.

For the same reason, I have my doubts that they would abbreviate "Sears Roebuck" as S, since it should be SR. Sturmey-Archer even abbreviate their own name as SA, and their's is hyphenated.

A clue could be that the typeface for the S is very different to the typeface used for the rest of the hub. Compare the S with the S in Sturmey-Archer. The S has serifs and Sturmey-Archer does not. This makes me think it is a specific reference to a company who uses a seriphed S at the start of their name. Looking at early Sears catalogues, they seem to have changed the script for their name often,.so, again, I don't think it's them. That said, here is an example of their letterhead with a similar S.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Sears,_Robuck_&_Co._letterhead_1907.jpg

But then again, it's not too unusual, see this picture of a Singer sewing machine:

http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/singer 66 99.htm

Best Regards,

Adrian

PS, more on the history of King sewing machines (I tried to trace a link with Singer, but failed) here.

http://needlebar.org/main/makers/usa/histories/king/index.html

Last edited:
Hi,All, more on the history of King sewing machines (I tried to trace a link with Singer, but failed) here.
Adrian, thank you for reaching across the pond with your insight and the King input. We may never know the significance of the "S"? It would be nice to see a USA made Tricoaster hub without the branded "S" But I don't think one was ever produced? If one were to appear it would certainly resolve many questions.

Thanks Sam, can you offered the serial number? This single pic verifies that the USA hub was produced without the "S"...therefore there should be a plethora of this particular hub out there, since it was installed as standard equipment on so many high grade bicycles. Keep the pics coming.

Thanks Sam, can you offered the serial number? This single pic verifies that the USA hub was produced without the "S"...therefore there should be a plethora of this particular hub out there, since it was installed as standard equipment on so many high grade bicycles. Keep the pics coming.
This hub has the number 36 stamped on the outside of the flange which refers to it being drilled 36 hole. Other than that the photo shows all I know. Was this hub made in USA or England ? was it made to export? was it an import hub? pre-WW1 or Post WW1 ? can't say ? More info is needed.

Back