When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help i.d. my new project? Schwinn or Mead?

-
Looks to me like a 36 schwinn frame

Any idea what model it could be? 36 motorbike/ autocycle/ etc.? Thank you very much for the info @Cooper S.! Your info (and all the info ive recieved) is indispensable....and I am honored to belong to such a community as ours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to consider this device at some point...

j29.jpg

481806CF-E0C2-4B0A-8E3E-FEAD51D58FE6.jpeg
You may want to consider this device at some point...

View attachment 727435
Ive been trying to find a cheap, sure fire way to straighten my forks, and ive not seen this method used before? What is this contraption called, or what does it consist of? I was relieved to find that the awful bend wasnt in the threaded steer-tube, but in the blades (legs?). Seeing as Im basically right at the poverty line-are there any “easy peasey” way to get them back into semi-alignment? Thank you for the reply @Bikermaniac

I saw that you were listed in Bakersfield, so I made a quick search of bike co-operatives that serve that area. You might want to check out the folks at BikeBakersfield and see if they have/lend a fork straightening tool called the "Little Brute." My co-op here in Baltimore has one and it looks like a mutated bumper jack...but it gets the job done. Give them a call--us bike lovers are a friendly, helpful lot. At a shop rental rate of $2 per hour, I don't see how you can go wrong.

http://bikebakersfield.org/bike-kitchen/

Any idea what model it could be? 36 motorbike/ autocycle/ etc.? Thank you very much for the info @Cooper S.! Your info (and all the info ive recieved) is indispensable....and I am honored to belong to such a community as ours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Motorbike. If you just google pictures of each you should be able to tell, mostly in the down tube. (The bottom most tube)

View attachment 727671
I've been trying to find a cheap, sure fire way to straighten my forks, and ive not seen this method used before? What is this contraption called, or what does it consist of? I was relieved to find that the awful bend wasnt in the threaded steer-tube, but in the blades (legs?). Seeing as Im basically right at the poverty line-are there any “easy peasey” way to get them back into semi-alignment? Thank you for the reply @Bikermaniac
In my setup I am using a cheap bottle jack from Harbor Freight, a front axle, and some two by fours. Don't know if it will work for you. Sometimes it is risky straightening these forks as they may later fail at the fork crown without warning. I have never seen a Schwinn/Ashtabula fork fail after straightening and we repaired a bunch over the years.
The co-op mentioned by RustySprockets sound like a great resource - hope you can get things straightened out. :)

Last edited:
A second, less accurate method of straightening a fork at home is to spin it around backwards, then use a common ratchet strap to "pull" the axle assembly toward the bottom bracket, rather than push it away as Bikemonkey has pictured. Just pointing out that there are solutions...some of 'em better than others.

A second, less accurate method of straightening a fork at home is to spin it around backwards, then use a common ratchet strap to "pull" the axle assembly toward the bottom bracket, rather than push it away as Bikemonkey has pictured. Just pointing out that there are solutions...some of 'em better than others.
A third less accurate way is to turn the fork backwards and ram the wheel into a fence post (a solution I saw mentioned on the net that was employed after a particular nasty accident while touring).

Back