When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Schwinn Traveler...maybe?

-

Siestabikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
A buddy has a '62 Traveler that I'm thinking of buying for $90. My concerns are...i dont need/want another bike and the scratches on the top tube would bother me. the first concern can be overlooked but the scratches cannot. would a polishing compound help remove or diminish them?

overall the bike has decent patina, very original including the schwinn white walls, and came from the family of the original owner

what is the tire size? The chain guard doesn't have the "schwinn traveler" graphic but rather the elongated line with a single star graphic, is this an aftermarket piece?

20171221_165829.jpg

20171221_170507.jpg

20171221_165806.jpg

20171221_165819.jpg

I would call that top bar scrapped up, not scratched. A polish will work on superficial scratches and scuffs but won't help if the paint is missing. Touching up black paint is somewhat easy if one wants to go thru that process. You say the bike is a 62 with a non decaled guard so I'd say that the serial number is a November thru December 1962 serial but the bike is actually a 1963 model. The 62 model had the Traveler decal on the guard but the 63 models did not. The 63 seat mask decal was also new and matches the one on the bike you posted. Here's the 63 catalog image.

1963dlr_Traveler.jpg

I wouldn't wait..Black bikes are an easy sale. Worth that in parts.

Don't agree. Schwinn Lightweights are a tough sale. Black is a better color and that badge is worthy for quick sale;$25-50 buckaroos but, unless you sell at ebay b/c few here are interested in the rest, hardly any on Craig's list and have plenty time to wait on long-shot and package the rims, frame and leftover parts individually U gonna be looking at them long time. It's a good too decent looking bike, a plus for badge, decals on bar and the front fender b/c that's last year, 63 for that fender. But, U buy that @ 90 b/c you like it :) or, you've got plenty storage, tons of patience, are walking distance to post office, fedex or UPS and love fabricating indestructible shipping boxes. .

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification regarding the year. I find, fix and flip bikes, mostly 70's and up mid-level roadies and hybrids, so space is very limited for something i may use a couple times a year. i have my personal collection of mostly sport/touring road/mtb bikes but i would like ONE (1)..only ONE low cost older Schwinn but i'm not sure if this is the one. visually i like the style of the Corvettes but i do like the originality of the Traveler

20170520_161959.jpg

I would call that top bar scrapped up, not scratched. A polish will work on superficial scratches and scuffs but won't help if the paint is missing. Touching up black paint is somewhat easy if one wants to go thru that process. You say the bike is a 62 with a non decaled guard so I'd say that the serial number is a November thru December 1962 serial but the bike is actually a 1963 model. The 62 model had the Traveler decal on the guard but the 63 models did not. The 63 seat mask decal was also new and matches the one on the bike you posted. Here's the 63 catalog image.

View attachment 727634

That's interesting GT. I've never seen that '63 black seat up until yesterday. Picked up a June of '62 Traveler with that seat on in. Efkade...made in Holland.

Don't agree. Schwinn Lightweights are a tough sale.

I respectfully disagree, at least for this model. Travelers can be an easy sale. They are all about condition, and because they weren't kids bikes, like alot of old Schwinns, some beautiful examples are still out there and are very desireable. I agree though about the rest of Schwinn's lightweight models. Those can be tough to move.

Back