When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 26” Schwinn bmx bike project

-

Danny the schwinn freak

cruisin on my ratty Schwinn straightbar
Hey all. Here is the start of my next project. It’s going to be a 26” bmx inspired Schwinn. I’ve never really messed with the modern day bmx stuff, but it really interests me. I’m having V brake mounts put on the frame and forks and and going to run profile 3pc cranks, SE racing wheels and some other cool stuff. Should be a pretty cool bike for an old guy trying to be a kid again. Here’s the frame and fork I’m starting with. It’s an 82 Chicago frame and the forks are from an 82 women’s cruiser. I just found a guard from another Caber and it’s on the way. More pics to come as I progress. Any tips or hints would be appreciated. I’m kinda stuck on what tire to run. I want a tire that will go in the dirt and be fairly smooth on the street. I’m also looking for some ideas on a laid back seat post (since I’m 6’3”) and suggestions on a comfy saddle that will look correct for the style of bike I’m going for.

A1328DF4-DD9C-460F-8D14-22E6C6F0192D.jpeg

189D2217-B9DA-422D-9151-9359367DBBF7.jpeg

Yes that’s is true, but I’m 43 and plastic isn’t an option! Lol. I have to find one that looks the part, but won’t kill me.
I have comfort saddles on all my collectible Trek road bikes. No care what looks like, it's my A.. not yours. Albeit, I save the originals for photographs or, in case of resale to some hard-A.. [grin]

Last edited:
I have a few 26" BMX bikes that I ride regularly. A Brooks B-17 or Brooks Pro is my choice. They are very comfortable for long rides and look great .

Yep I say go with the Brooks leather. The B72 and the Brooks Pro are also good ones. I even have a lady Brooks Pro that fits the fat ass really good. Go for the pros with the big copper rivets and ya got some style too!
Btw; I’m 6’1 and 66 years old. At this point; we don’t have to grow up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few 26" BMX bikes that I ride regularly. A Brooks B-17 or Brooks Pro is my choice. They are very comfortable for long rides and look great .
Anyone heard of the C-17 from brooks? I came across that in a search and love it’s look. I have never heard anything but rave reviews about brooks seats.

Yep I say go with the Brooks leather. The B72 and the Brooks Pro are also good ones. I even have a lady Brooks Pro that fits the fat ass really good. Go for the pros with the big copper rivets and ya got some style too!
Btw; I’m 6’1 and 66 years old. At this point; we don’t have to grow up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw the women’s versions and liked their looks because they look more like a beach cruiser seat. All of those brooks seat look very nice.

Back