When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 Panther rat klunker

-

Danny the schwinn freak

cruisin on my ratty Schwinn straightbar
I know most guys who frequent this site want to puke at the site of something like this, but I figured I’d share it anyway. I’m a big fan of Schwinn bikes in all forms. I had this Panther frame and chain guard in the weird green metallic color combo and no fork to match. So I hunted and hunted and finally located a chrome Sidewinder fork from @Muleman121. When it arrived, I decided that it belonged on this frame. So here is what it looks like so far. Just need to finish a few things. By the way, this is the frame I had asked for some help on with getting the fork bearing cups to fit tighter in. They were loose and would slide in and out of the frame freely. After more research and lots of questions, I opted for the JB weld method. I am happy to say that it worked like a charm. I spread a thin later on the inside of the frame head tube and let it harden up. Then I sanded it lightly to fit the cups and pressed them in. They are nice and snug in there. At this point I’m looking for the shorter style ballooner guard in the same color or black original worn condition and a bmx stem like the one on the bike now, but with “Schwinn” stamped into the top. I’m also looking for a black 44 or 46 tooth sprocket for use on one piece cranks. So if anyone has either of these, please direct message me. I’ll post a few better pics this weekend when it’s light out. But this should give you the idea.

AD3C494F-E057-4A43-811B-EC15F05AAE40.jpeg

I know most guys who frequent this site want to puke at the site of something like this, but I figured I’d share it anyway. I’m a big fan of Schwinn bikes in all forms. I had this Panther frame and chain guard in the weird green metallic color combo and no fork to match. So I hunted and hunted and finally located a chrome Sidewinder fork from @Muleman121. When it arrived, I decided that it belonged on this frame. So here is what it looks like so far. Just need to finish a few things. By the way, this is the frame I had asked for some help on with getting the fork bearing cups to fit tighter in. They were loose and would slide in and out of the frame freely. After more research and lots of questions, I opted for the JB weld method. I am happy to say that it worked like a charm. I spread a thin later on the inside of the frame head tube and let it harden up. Then I sanded it lightly to fit the cups and pressed them in. They are nice and snug in there. At this point I’m looking for the shorter style ballooner guard in the same color or black original worn condition and a bmx stem like the one on the bike now, but with “Schwinn” stamped into the top. I’m also looking for a black 44 or 46 tooth sprocket for use on one piece cranks. So if anyone has either of these, please direct message me. I’ll post a few better pics this weekend when it’s light out. But this should give you the idea.

View attachment 730357
I’m liking this!

My projects are all "restore to original" affairs, but it would be fun to let loose and commit blasphemy without worrying about being struck by lightning bolts from the Gods of Restoration. Have been thinking about making a straight bar rat, but don't know enough about the new parts and which modern pieces would fit the old frames.

Here's a sample pic from cyberspace I've been admiring. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Panther, especially which chain wheel and bottom bracket you go with.

1937 Admiral Rat
Schwinn 1937  Admiral 2.jpg

My projects are all "restore to original" affairs, but it would be fun to let loose and commit blasphemy without worrying about being struck by lightning bolts from the Gods of Restoration. Have been thinking about making a straight bar rat, but don't know enough about the new parts and which modern pieces would fit the old frames.

Here's a sample pic from cyberspace I've been admiring. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Panther, especially which chain wheel and bottom bracket you go with.

1937 Admiral Rat
View attachment 734816

View attachment 734811
It’s fun. I’d never take a complete bike and stop it down to do this. I had a frame and chainguard and couldn’t find a matching fork. I have no issues personally with building stuff like this when it come from extra parts. I don’t know a lot about the new parts either, but I’m learning. I’m trying to keep as much stuff scheinn or st least sorta period looking as I go. It feels like it’s going to be a comfy bike. Pics will keep coming as I progress.

Me too, even though it's...

View attachment 735089
Normally, I like them stock and original. But all I had was a frame and fork, and the frame has original paint that was too good to sand and repaint. In a way, building this bike up this way is still an effort of preservation. It may not appeal to all, but no harm was done and it looks damn cool and will be a fun rider. And when I have the urge to take on some dirt, I’m still doing it on a vintage Schwinn.

Back