When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeffrey and Gromully tandem

-
Thanks to @corbettclassics for the 'Thor' heads up.
Found these @Artweld on a thread on here from 2013 (search for "Toc Thor tandem").
Images originally posted by @fordsnake.
ScreenShot20131029at83558AMpng-1.jpg
ScreenShot20131019at94621PMpng-1.jpg

I'm constantly amazed at the wealth and breadth of knowledge on here, thanks!
Still none the wiser of a manufacturer though, but I totally agree with @Rambler regarding overall European influence as to frame geometry/design; It's very similar to many of the British manufacturer's output.

Thanks to @corbettclassics for the 'Thor' heads up.
Found these @Artweld on a thread on here from 2013 (search for "Toc Thor tandem").
Images originally posted by @fordsnake.
View attachment 736460 View attachment 736461
I'm constantly amazed at the wealth and breadth of knowledge on here, thanks!
Still none the wiser of a manufacturer though, but I totally agree with @Rambler regarding overall European influence as to frame geometry/design; It's very similar to many of the British manufacturer's output.
Thanks dnc1 for your input on this subject, but I'm sure that the "THOR" is not the same crank housing on this tandam, the overall appearance and style is very different then the THOR, I'm leaning to believe that the tandem is perhaps pre 1900's or TOC just by the design and shape of the crank housing,

The original color was black when I received it, than was sent out for painting so I never got a chance to see the bare metal frame for reference which was my mistake, just wondering if a bare frame can lead to help identify the manufacturer in anyway? Thanks

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

After many hours spent searching for Artweld's tandem, I am still at a loss to identify it. However from my searching I am inclined to believe (based on various characteristics) that this tandem was likely produced sometime between WW1 and WW2 with the 1930's being the most likely time period.

Also, while this tandem may not have been produced in Europe, the frame geometry/design bares a remarkable resemblance to manufacturers such as; Sun, Alworth, Chater-Lea, Hercules, James, Maclean, Stephens, etc. So whomever the manufacturer was, it seems that they were at the very least influenced by tandems from the other side of the pond.

I do hope someone else comes forward with a positive i.d. because I have exhausted my resources and am very curious who did manufacture Artweld's tandem.
If time permits I'm going to pull out the cranks and post a few pics of the crank housing, hopefully someone can identify it then, once again thanks for your research

If time permits I'm going to pull out the cranks and post a few pics of the crank housing, hopefully someone can identify it then, once again thanks for your research

Removing the cranks may actually tell us something. What I am very curious to know is if the crank housing adapters appear to be original to the tandem or if they were created or modified sometime later in order to adapt a later style crank to this tandem frame? Single piece crank arms such as this type typically didn't start appearing on bicycles until around 1910.

96a5740b15ffceeb2f6605d103b503e9-jpg.jpg

Only similar crank examples I have been able to find to date. Similar in concept but not the same as your tandem.

Pierce
1912 Pierce.jpg

Columbia
1896 Columbia model 34.jpg

Another unknown manufacturer
Racing Triplet.jpg

Last edited:
Removing the cranks may actually tell us something. What I am very curious to know is if the crank housing adapters appear to be original to the tandem or if they were created or modified sometime later in order to adapt a later style crank to this tandem frame? Single piece crank arms such as this type typically didn't start appearing on bicycles until around 1910.

View attachment 736656

Only similar crank examples I have been able to find to date. Similar in concept but not the same as your tandem.

Pierce
View attachment 736679

Columbia
View attachment 736678

View attachment 736677
20180610_202758_Film4.jpg
20180610_202805_Film4.jpg
20180610_202833_Film4.jpg
20180610_202859_Film4.jpg
20180610_202940_Film4.jpg
20180610_203025_Film4.jpg
20180610_203107_Film4.jpg
20180610_203210_Film4.jpg
20180610_203313_Film4.jpg

20180610_202824_Film4.jpg

View attachment 736656

Pierce
View attachment 736679

Columbia
View attachment 736678

View attachment 736677
Was able to get a chance to remove the cracks on the tandam sorry it took so long I'm hoping that someone will still be able to help identify the manufacturer of the frame

Also noticed that the bottom bracket bearing races are stamped in the inside that faces the bearings two are marked OL and the other two are marked OR, cranks are marked WALD and I still don't know if any of these parts are original to the frame In order to remove both cranks both bearing cups need to be removed on the non sprocket side then the cranks pop out very easily, thanks

Hello,
You have a very interesting tandem. The Wald cranks are not original. The narrow Thor style bottom bracket shell makes me think this was made in the late 1890s.

Hello,
You have a very interesting tandem. The Wald cranks are not original. The narrow Thor style bottom bracket shell makes me think this was made in the late 1890s.
Any idea if the bb can be removed from the frame as I would like to get a better look at the inside frame area, looks like two sides of the BB are pressed together or hopefully screwed together? You mentioned thor style bb... would that be the maker of the BB and then sold to different frame manufacturers so they can install?

The bottom bracket should come out when you remove the screw at its bottom. Yes, bottom bracket shells and other frame parts were manufactured and sold to frame builders.

Back