When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is It Wrong to have tassels on a Dude's bike ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Never taking 'em off my Independence Day ride....

Rear Right.jpg

As of now.........................their still on. Took it down to the pond this morning. Still on the fence here.................darn near seems to be a split consensus .

View attachment 751529

Great pictures! I saved them. I have a folder just for 1940s Hawthornes. It looks like you got some new carrier lights. I think your bike would greatly benefit from soaking in Evaporust--meaning I think there may be more paint under that rust than it appears. CABE member rustjunkie would do a really good job on refurbishing that seat. I bet he could even stamp the vinyl. By the way, your bike looks 100% original and correct with the exception of the grips and streamers. I think it would have originally come with torpedo grips. The handlebars look a little narrow like they could be from a women's bicycle, but I am just guessing.

Great pictures! I saved them. I have a folder just for 1940s Hawthornes. It looks like you got some new carrier lights. I think your bike would greatly benefit from soaking in Evaporust--meaning I think there may be more paint under that rust than it appears. CABE member rustjunkie would do a really good job on refurbishing that seat. I bet he could even stamp the vinyl. By the way, your bike looks 100% original and correct with the exception of the grips and streamers. I think it would have originally come with torpedo grips. The handlebars look a little narrow like they could be from a women's bicycle, but I am just guessing.
You are correct. The carrier lenses were just put on. ( They were gone , along with the headlight lense) You may be right about the Handlebars as well. They measure only 22" wide. The bike also had several new brass bolts where I'm guessing the originals were lost or in non use able shape. I have been replacing those with more Visually blending hardware from my stock. I would probably go for a wider handlebar if I could find a set that would match the bike. (Proper grips would then be in order) I really like this bike, but it still needs some sorting , lube and adjustments. I just got a small bottle of Evaporust, but have yet to try it. There is pinstriping and other features that are under that rust.............This bike is begging to show it's true beauty under the elemental aging it has received. I feel very fortunate to have found this. Thanks for your kind words , and helpful information.

DSCF0525.JPG

IMG_20180210_093706461.jpg

IMG_20180210_094038852.jpg

DSCF0510.JPG

DSCF0511.JPG

Last edited:
You are correct. The carrier lenses were just put on. ( They were gone , along with the headlight lense) You may me right about the Handlebars as well. They measure only 22" wide. The bike also had several new brass bolts where I'm guessing the originals were lost or in non use able shape. I have been replacing those with more Visually blending hardware from my stock. I would probably go for a wider handlebar if I could find a set that would match the bike. (Proper grips would then be in order) I really like this bike, but it still needs some sorting , lube and adjustments. I just got a small bottle of Evaporust, but have yet to try it. There is pinstriping and other features that are under that rust.............This bike is begging to show it's true beauty under the elemental aging it has received. I feel very fortunate to have found this. Thanks for your kind words , and helpful information.

View attachment 752274

View attachment 752276

View attachment 752277

View attachment 752278

View attachment 752279

The parts you seek will come in time!
I hope you never get the urge to repaint it.
Leave the bike in it's original condition
or I will send my dogs after you! :mad:

Nice reflector on the carrier! I have not seen one like that before, but my carrier has a hole in that position. I wonder if that's original. I'll have to see if I can find one like that. The 27" wide version handlebars seem to be scarce and very expensive for some reason. It took me a long time to find a set that wasn't priced ridiculously high and totally battered. At least now the torpedo grips are turning up at affordable prices, as even the reproductions were scarce and expensive for a while. I think Fox Grips on eBay sells them now.

Evaporust works great--just soak the parts long enough for the rust to fall off--it won't hurt paint or chrome. I imagine it would be expensive to soak the entire frame, but apparently now they sell a gel version that you may be able to brush onto the frame and let set for a while. Once you have the rust gone and the paint more visible, I think some careful polishing with a product like Meguiar's polish that will restore the oils in the paint and bring back the original color. This way you'll be able to restore the original paint as best as possible.

Back