When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stepping Pegs

-

Ed Minas

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Lets talk about stepping pegs. The type that threaded on to the axle shaft. They seem like a cool accessory. Has anyone reproduced them? Of course Old is better but they must be rather rare and pretty specific as thread count.

I had a couple made in our machine shop at work. They are a thread that is rarely used anymore. It helped that I have a large set of taps that were my grandfathers with all the old sizes. They are not too difficult to make. You need a lathe and a knurling tool and the correct tap and drill bit.

This is I believe an original 1897 Sterling. The nickel is worn from use. 3/8 x 24tpi. I also believe they disappeared once the coaster came into being. No more need for them if you can use the pedal instead. I've always heard them called "mounting pegs."
IMG_0404.JPG

We call them "mounting pegs" too on my side of the pond.
Purely used for mounting your trusty 'pushbike'.

Pushbike is right. What a loverly language.
View attachment 752741
Nice ordinary, I saw a guy use one of those mounting pegs a little too enthusiastically a couple of years ago; he pushed off, sprang up and went straight over the other side of his saddle. Luckily he landed in the bed of an adjacent pickup truck and didn't fall too far. His ego was mightily bruised however.

Nice ordinary, I saw a guy use one of those mounting pegs a little too enthusiastically a couple of years ago; he pushed off, sprang up and went straight over the other side of his saddle. Luckily he landed in the bed of an adjacent pickup truck and didn't fall too far. His ego was mightily bruised however.
Thanks dnc. 1881 Standard. But back to the thread. Any pegs to show?
IMG_1556.JPG

At 220+ pounds weight, If I stepped on a peg that was on the rear axle of my Pierce I am pretty sure I would just snap it right off.

Back