When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pair of 1963 varsitys

-

Gashep

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a pair of 1963 varsitys, one is a flamboyant red Tourist, the other is a flamboyant lime sport. I picked up the sport for parts for the tourist I have since decided that they are both to nice to part, so I am now looking for a front derailleur for a 63 varsity, it seems that it is a one year only on the varsity going from the suicide derailleur in 62 to the sprint derailleur in 64
20150527_000103.jpg
20150527_000103.jpg
3095374-1502384568-274474.jpg
I picked up the sport for $25 about the same time I found a derailleur on EBay for $60 +shipping I decided that the bike was more affordable and in better shape, but now I'm again looking for the derailleur. Where is a good place to find one? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

That particular front derailleur is pretty hard to find on eBay. Did you pick up that eBay piece? It's the same derailleur that came on the late 61 and 62-63 Continentals. I picked up a complete Continental for parts but the FD is slightly bent up.

62 Continental 010.JPG

The cage on that derailleur mounts to the derailleur on a round post, there's a screw you can loosen and adjust the cage

Yes mine is rotated and you have to look at mine from the top to see it's also bent. You just need the cage or the whole assembly? There were replacement cages on eBay that were slightly different on the top.

Back