When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'59 White Corvette, A Gentle Restoration

-
Funny you mention that. Just yesterday did a Evaporust Gel test on a chainguard. The gel was pretty thick so it stuck well. I used a foam brush to move it around. You only leave it on for a couple of hours. I did 2 applications on this. This one was bad on the back but pretty good paint so a good test. Not going to make it perfect but it looks a lot better to me. See what you think.

View attachment 763153

View attachment 763155

That is a FANTASTIC result! I will definitely have to do that with the guard. I will put on a good coat of matte clear on the back to seal it from rusting again.

clear-rust-oleum-stops-rust-general-purpose-spray-paint-285093-64_1000.jpg

evapo rust is one of the great thing to recently come around,things that were struggled with for years are now fairly ez

I hate to spray anything permanent on an original bike. A light coat of machine oil or Johnson's paste wax is a better alternative and if it stays inside you should never have to worry about rust again. V/r Shawn

I hate to spray anything permanent on an original bike. A light coat of machine oil or Johnson's paste wax is a better alternative and if it stays inside you should never have to worry about rust again. V/r Shawn

Thing is, I plan to ride this finely-aged beauty. It will be stored inside, but taken out. Only reason I am clearing the back of the guard, is there will be no chrome left once that rust is gone. Bare metal can rust with just moisture. Also, the clear coat will not be visible once assembled.

I will likely use the wax on the bare spots of the frame though.

Last edited:
The weather was decent, so I brought the bike outside for some paint restoration. Still a ways to go, but so far so good! I used water, and several Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on the paint. I used green Scotch-Brite pads on the really rough spots, and Dr. Bronners soap and a clean wrap on the decals. I chose an old sock, and wrapped it around the tubes and let the soap work.

5B0465A9-A681-4CD0-917F-79AF42C2CC57.jpeg

E7415C01-5CF1-433E-A774-FC7E55BFEFAF.jpeg

FB52BDE3-3139-4C54-A4F9-6A62D1EDEF79.jpeg

7BB595CA-AB27-4CB4-9A57-21A55908237E.jpeg

BF2DDF42-AADF-449F-9154-0CB4CB8AE680.jpeg

I strongly suggest using some Bar Keepers cleanser and a green kitchen pad, preferably an old used one, unless you need more scrubbing power which it appears you need.

About This Item
We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it. See our disclaimer
removes rust stains, tarnish, oxidation, hard water deposits, soap scum, mildew, grease and grime from a variety of surfaces
  • clean surfaces in the bathroom and kitchen, to remove rust stains from garden tools and to remove mildew and dirt from vinyl siding. BKF Cleanser is safe for use on most surfaces, including porcelain.
  • KITCHEN: Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser can remove burnt food residue from cookware, stubborn grease from oven door glass, plus rust stains and hard water deposits from stainless steel and porcelain
  • Use it on stainless steel, laminate and Corian countertops and on faucets, tile and backsplashes. BKF Cleanser also removes stubborn utensil marks from dishes, coffee cups and restores cloudy glassware to like-new condition.
  • Bar Keepers Friend is safe to use on most cooktops and stove grates, but always test it on a small area first.
  • safely scrub away stubborn hard water deposits, soap scum and rust stains without damaging your tub or sink. Clean bathtub drains, light-colored grout, shower doors, most fixtures, ceramic tiles and countertops with BKF Cleanser. Use Bar Keepers Friend Toilet Bowl Cleaner (sold separately) on toilets.
  • cuts through thick grease on grill grates and removes hard water deposits from outside window panes. Use it on rust-stained patio furniture, lawn ornaments and to remove grime from vinyl and aluminum garage doors and siding. You can even use it on stainless steel golf clubs.
  • Bar Keepers Friend is a family-owned company based in Indianapolis, Indiana. We develop, produce and package all of our products, to ensure consistency and quality.
On the decals I use Turtle Wax Polishing Compound in the black bottle. I invert an old white Hanes sock and put it on my hand. Put a dab of the polish on the sock and gently wipe the decal with one finger starting on the outside dead clear areas first to see how much effort it takes to clean it up. Keeping the "sock" wet with polish gently wipe the decal with one finger until you like what you see. ;)

And the above is precisely what is in store next. I figured the Magic Eraser and Dr Bronners would be least abrasive, and I could go up from there.

Back