When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bent rim problem

-

Tomato John

Finally riding a big boys bike
G519 wheel with some damage to side. Rim edge is bent out pretty far. What’s the best way to fix? Pound it out or bend back somehow?
3A56999F-FDFA-4403-8771-A2F24FBC36FD.jpeg

You might be able to gently squeeze it back to a consistent width by using a soft-jawed vise or a hydraulic press, if you have access to one.

An acquaintance once showed me a tool with several steel pins that could allow the user to "roll" this type of damage out of a bent rim. I have never before nor since seen one of these...or even an image of one. That device is on my grail list.

Sounds like a good idea. I’m just a little bit worried about bending the other side in. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks!

You have a slight bend there!!. With the now-inconsistent tensions on all the spokes because of the bend, when you try to straighten or bend back the rim, it may affect the opposite side of the wheel negatively. If you really must attempt this near-impossible procedure, you may try to use a large crescent wrench tightened onto the bent vertical side of the rim and pull it back gently bit by bit. With that kind of damage, you stand very little chance of getting it straight. If it were a super-rare, $500 rim, then disassemble the wheel, and cold work it on a flat surface with the c-wrench and a mallet while taking inside-the-bead measurements all the way around. Good luck with that...

You have a slight bend there!!. With the now-inconsistent tensions on all the spokes because of the bend, when you try to straighten or bend back the rim, it may affect the opposite side of the wheel negatively. If you really must attempt this near-impossible procedure, you may try to use a large crescent wrench tightened onto the bent vertical side of the rim and pull it back gently bit by bit. With that kind of damage, you stand very little chance of getting it straight. If it were a super-rare, $500 rim, then disassemble the wheel, and cold work it on a flat surface with the c-wrench and a mallet while taking inside-the-bead measurements all the way around. Good luck with that...
It doesn’t seem to have any wobble so I’m considering just leaving it alone until a replacement can be found unless I discover an easy solution. Appreciate your thoughts. J

Just lay in on the edge of your work bench and beat on it with a rubber mallet. Not like you're gonna make it any worse...

Back