When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Important Discussion for Newcomers to the Hobby

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nice shiny paint job and bright chrome but this guy paid no attention to the frame dart details as he claimed he would do.

looking at the dart detail on the original frame compared to his finished product is mind boggling how far off it is especially at the head tube tank area. The frame tube darts are just as bad.

Look, it's his bike and he can do whatever makes him smile, I get it, but don't claim to make patterns and follow the original paint scheme and then get it all wrong.

Bike devalued in my opinion, but i'll give him $2000 for the tank.

View attachment 769062
View attachment 769063
Not really talking about that bike.Just bikes in general.Restored has lost its true meaning and is misused by many. Not bashing anybodys project but wish people would use the correct terms.

I've only have seen one restoration as you've described.
It was at an antique car show years ago.
This person explained to me what was used
to paint a new car at the factory back in the
early days before spray paint tools or modern
paint material was available.
He added that todays paints are far superior or longer lasting then in the past, but he wanted to use the techniques that were used
on his model when it was being done at the factory.
Looking at the other cars that were "restored",
although very well done, they looked modern
somehow.
I will never forget how my 1954 Western Flyer
X-53 looked fresh out of the carton from the
factory.
My buddy has a 38 Chevy that came in second place in the Nationals.They crawled under his car and found a zip tie holding a wire and cost him 1 point and first place.lol

Not really talking about that bike.Just bikes in general.Restored has lost its true meaning and is misused by many. Not bashing anybodys project but wish people would use the correct terms.

I know, but I was..........

Besides I think this thread kind of started with the above bike in mind.

An example of a mix of original paint pieces and fresh repop pieces ( 95 anniversary phantom ) , don't exactly know if it's a restoration or Crustoration. .. it rides well and I love the fact that the paint is original. ....
Thanks for letting me ad on this post. .. ( we love original paint bikes )...... my 2 cents. ...

20161030_105019-1.jpg

20170902_155709.jpg

I think the use of the word "restored" has lost its meaning.Anybody who repaints,chromes instead of nickles,paints wrong paint schemes,etc. calls their bikes "restored" There is a difference between restored and redone. True restoration is making it the way it left the factory.Makes no difference how nice an object comes out in the end it is not restored if it isnt correct.Its just redone. C.L. and FB sites are full of "restored" bikes

You hit the nail on the head here. The vast majority of bikes that are said to be "restored" are not even close. Many of them are actually restroyed. (Repainted/redone so badly/incorrectly that they destroyed the bike's value in the process.
In my opinion it must be exactly the way it left the factory, or it can't technically be classified as restored.
The preservation or "rustoration" that many of us do, is closer to a restoration than most so called restorations.
Example, removing house paint to reveal factory original paint, therefore restoring what's left of the original factory finish.

I have an old Schwinn that I may bring back to the store where it was bought .Would that also be restored ??

Yes Vincev....you are absolutely correct!

I have the 95th Anniversary Schwinn Black Phantom. It still has the “original" colors, tires and saddle
in the sense that this was made by the factory.
That it is a “reproduction” is something else.

Although I cannot restore mine because the Schwinn store went out of business. ;)

Back