When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Important Discussion for Newcomers to the Hobby

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yes Vincev....you are absolutely correct!

I have the 95th Anniversary Schwinn Black Phantom. It still has the “original" colors, tires and saddle
in the sense that this was made by the factory.
That it is a “reproduction” is something else.

Although I cannot restore mine because the Schwinn store went out of business. ;)

The reproduction phantoms were made in A factory, not THE factory.
Hence the "reproduction" status.
However if it still has all it's parts that it came with, we could call it an "original reproduction" :D

The reproduction phantoms were made in A factory, not THE factory.
Hence the "reproduction" status.
However if it still has all it's parts that it came with, we could call it an "original reproduction" :D

Meaning....THE factory in ‘CHICAGO’ !:D

Last edited:
If you own a bike you can do whatever you want with it, repaint it, re-brand it, re-chrome it, chop it, modify it, what ever makes you happy, but in my opinion an all original bicycle is more "valuable" than a restored one
There's only a few restored bicycles that worth almost the same as an original, but that not will not apply to every bicycle, so be careful what you do with your bike...and one more thing, if you publish your projects in a public forum, be prepared for all kind of comments, some on favor and others not so much.

I think bikes that have undergone a thorough and accurate as humanly possible restorations should be regarded more
as art than a 'bike'. NOS tires etc.... keep em that way...hang the bike on a wall. A old friend and serious avid
collector up in Seattle had 1 or 2 mounted beautifully on the wall of his living room... 3D art! Totally eye popping
to be able to see something vintage restored shiny and new and at eye level makes even more of an impact.
One would think that with the cost of restorations and the value of the bikes restored at high quality levels
would ensure preservation.....handled like art and surviving as fine art survives through future generations.

Don't get me wrong, I believe killer originals or rare examples in any condition should be treated the same
way pretty much...but you have a little more freedom or leeway if there are nicks and scratches, patina etc when
you are handling original unrestored bikes.

Very true, Bob.
But, I looked at the before and after pictures of your magnificently restored 1941 Super Deluxe Henderson, and I marveled at how that original condition bike got from starting out its existence in the pristine shape of your restoration, and ended up in the heavily patina'd state that you found it in.
I'm sure that none of those scratches, dents and dings were intentional.
That represented a lot of individual incidents that occurred over a long period of time, to accumulate the distressed condition that bike was found in.
How did it get that way?
If they had only known, they would've taken better care of their bike.

Very true, Bob.
But, I looked at the before and after pictures of your magnificently restored 1941 Super Deluxe Henderson, and I marveled at how that original condition bike got from starting out its existence in the pristine shape of your restoration, and ended up in the heavily patina'd state that you found it in.
I'm sure that none of those scratches, dents and dings were intentional.
That represented a lot of individual incidents that occurred over a long period of time, to accumulate the distressed condition that bike was found in.
How did it get that way?
If they had only known, they would've taken better care of their bike.

my guess is they rode it like I ride...

lots of bunny hops, ghost rides, curb slams, no kickstand throw downs.... ... and drunken incidents between me, my bike, and road raging brawling motorists where the bike can serve as a shield for
the items hurled or shot at me!

just a guess....

I think we can compare a so called "restored" bike to a woman who has had implants,facelifts,dyed hair,fake eyelashes,etc. She may be fun to ride and gets a lot of looks but underneath its the same old lady.
A lovely restoration!
63 year old Christie Brinkley and hers daughters on each side.
1280_brinkley-family_zps40utxsza.jpg

And she can also walk on water. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back