When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G519 Tribute Build

-

GPWPAT

Look Ma, No Hands!
CF55EB3A-561F-4AC4-88FE-CA5FE5F3DC41.jpeg
Last year while showing my G-503 (jeep) at an airshow. I was getting annoyed that all we have in our group is Jeeps. And one half track. I would love to own more vehicles and bigger ones. But I dont have the space yet. So I thought I would try to find or build a G-519. Besides it would give me faster transport at airshows and add some viriety to our display. I purchased a bicycle on eBay that looked correct, I got lucky. The Frame turned out to be a 1941 Westfield Columbia. I started piecing together as many parts as I could find on here and eBay. So far I think it looks just about right. The Truss rods are from a Women’s Huffman. I need to cut them down. But the arch and bolt are correct. The seat pan is in the wrong spot. I need to move the bolts. The seat frame is incorrect. I will weld up that slot and it will look pretty good. The sprocket is to small of a diameter but looks correct from 5’ away. Kickstand is correct. Handle bars are NOS. I purchased the fenders on eBay. They came with the correct un marked headlight. But they are from a road master and I need to replace the fender brackets. Just one thing on the fenders. They seem too sharp for a G519 I brought a bunch of pictures into CADD and I drafted up a shallower arc for the point on the gothic fenders. If anybody can post a picture of the end of fenders for me to reference before I start cutting. You can see my sharpie cut line on the back of the front fender. I have to get this pieced together in one month. I have an airshow at the local AFB and wish to debut there. I will be making a tag for it. My grandfather served in the Army Air Corps as a B-17 Mechanic and I wish to assign it to the base he was based at.
I know this will never be a real G519. But I plan on making it as close as I can. Until I find a real one that is.
Still looking for correct rims, hubs, also looking for a correct Columbia Fork and a Coffin style chainring. Oh and the tool bag. I have seen a few sell on EBay. I should have tried to get one of them. But I figured I need to worry about finishing this as is. Also can someone post a picture or dimensions of a tire pump? I am trying to figure out if a style currently available would pass a 5’ test.
467EDBEC-FB54-45C6-9886-A6089FCAFA12.jpeg
97C4D947-1A4D-4256-B838-328582E230E1.jpeg
8A70E819-1049-4F98-B259-97F0EC346E6C.jpeg
60656A11-DBCF-435F-AFE9-C97D263D532F.jpeg
8DFA445F-F72A-4FDA-A79F-881016B4BFDE.jpeg
9DE4F5D8-C367-4206-A26C-86613C7EBC3A.jpeg
C6B648E8-B972-403E-BAC7-16E5936DD32E.jpeg
BEA68F35-BC9A-4369-8371-D5AAFA393BEF.jpeg
C48A5B86-0E24-40C6-BDB7-4C14D02E78A8.jpeg

hi GPWPAT,

Just to say that you don't need the coffin ring, unless that's what you really want.

The straightbar/coffin ring combo would be appropriate for G519 from approx Aug 1942 to around March 1943.

Most of the straight bar G519 had the sweetheart ring, from around March 1943 to the end of production, except the USMC bikes.

If you do change the chainwheel, I'd be interested in the old one.

The best known maker of pumps was Woodbridge Brass. The pump will be about 10.5 inches long, and it and the correct clamp look like this:

(Sorry, unknown sources)

Woodbridge Brass.jpg
Woodbridge Brass 03.jpg

Last time I was looking, this is what I thought was closest as a repro. It's the right length (you need 250mm), looks the right diameter but would need painting. (No connection with the seller)

Cyclingcolors 250mm repro 01.jpg

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=122616239420

Bergerwerke sell the correct repro clamps:

http://www.bergerwerke.com/prod6690pumpclamp.html

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
That is the exact pump I was looking at. I guess I will order one. I’ll order the clamp too. I ordered my truss brackets and wood pedal blocks from Bergerworks. Thank you. What are your thoughts on the Point of the fenders? With all the pictures on the net. I cant find a straight high res shot of the fenders.

That is the exact pump I was looking at. I guess I will order one. I’ll order the clamp too. I ordered my truss brackets and wood pedal blocks from Bergerworks. Thank you. What are your thoughts on the Point of the fenders? With all the pictures on the net. I cant find a straight high res shot of the fenders.
I used a Sun pump like that on my BSA. I was going to post a photo of it all painted up put I guess I don't have one. Anyway, great pump for the project.

I used a Sun pump like that on my BSA. I was going to post a photo of it all painted up put I guess I don't have one. Anyway, great pump for the project.

I've been looking for a pump for my paratrooper but was concerned about the fit. So it does fit, hey? Or do you have a different kind of BSA. That's good news if it does!

I've been looking for a pump for my paratrooper but was concerned about the fit. So it does fit, hey? Or do you have a different kind of BSA. That's good news if it does!
I think that pump shown will be too short for your BSA , I believe Sun makes a longer one that might fit your existing frame brackets

Today I cut down the women’s truss rods. They turned out perfect. The end looks exactly as it should. I also positioned the chain guard. I had to cut down the rear aftermarket support. But now the perportions look like all the restorations I have seen. I have taken apart 2 Delta Winner headlights. The interior components of my original early non marked were corroded away. I had another delta winner marked light That I purchased for parts. It was corroded on the inside too but in different locations. After I sandblast I will weld the 2 inners together and put it back together after a coat of OD green. I am still in the search for paint. I want this pike to be the same shade of OD as the NOS handlebars. I used 33070 on my jeep. But I want the bike to be a different shade of OD. I’m thinking about going late WWII with the more Khaki in it. Maybe 319 a 1944 shade. My next bit of work will be to focus on reshaping the fenders and replacing the fender supports. Turns out the fender supports I purchased are the right shape. But the wrong length. I will have to take the rivets out and cut them down. Nothing is easy in restoration is it. There is always fabrication it seems.

2EFAD144-5A42-4661-BAF3-CE608346B436.jpeg
C0F2F1A0-2345-4D50-8CDD-104F289F269A.jpeg
Ok
EB35CA7E-81EA-47A9-931A-76715CF2AE13.jpeg

I have been busy. Sandblasting and painting. I will be working on my fenders next. I restored my Delta Winner to working condition. I had 2 parts headlights. Both rusted out in different locations on the inside. I welded the 2 innards together and now it is functional again.

I welded up the slot on the seat frame to represent G519. Until I can find an original. Moved the studs and made recessed locations for the studs. I am ready for upholstery. I am going to try using vinyl first. Vinyl was only $20 per yard. Leather seems like I had to buy a half a cow.

Currently for paint. I am priming with zinc chromate self etching primer. Except in some cases where I need a good fill coat. Then I used rustolium red oxide. Outer coat. I am experimenting with Krylon OD. It is more represents WWII USMC than army. But once I am assembled I am going to break out my spray gun and hose it down with either 33070 or late WWII 319. Thinking 319. But we will see.

This weekend I will be finishing the fenders.

Today NOS rims show up. Then I am on a search for Hubs. Not to concerned about date codes. But I do want to pass a 5’ test. Maybe even a 1’ test. But I do plan on making this so original so that when I do find a WWII frame. My parts can swap over.

I did order the pump mentioned above. I think it looks pretty good. It will look better after a sandblasting and a coat of OD. I also ordered the pump bracket from Bergerworks. That should show up in a week or so. Sadly I don’t think I can make the airshow I was trying to finish this for.

Maybe the next one.

Last edited:
Back