When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Umberto Dei resurrection thread

-
-----

There is a good possibility that the cycle's chainguard was manufactured by Mazzucchelli.

6936850713_4cef06cce1_b.jpg

A little tinkering today.

The interval run cable were a pain, I hope to never have to do that again. I was hoping to upgrade to a 4 spd freewheel but I don’t think it is going to fit.

Long term a set wheels with FB or early Campagnolo hubs with clincher rims would be nice but for now these Pryor high flange double lightened hubs with tubular tires will have to work.

DBFAAD5B-F8F4-479C-B288-43F2963D6E6B.jpeg

2F94320E-7596-4659-A2C6-AA6A8A5D47E8.jpeg

657358FF-C03A-498A-84A9-D61494FE89F4.jpeg

what's the OLD (dropout spacing) on your frame/ rear axle?

My custom Phil hub on my Lenton - 115mm OLD - lets me use a 5sp freewheel on my Lenton (could fit an Ultra6 in there, as well)
w5rmeae.jpg

It's the standard Phil freewheel hub - the custom part was the axle stubs I needed with 8mm bolts to fit my dropout slots - the axle stubs could be made to whatever width you need.
8mm are also your bolt size (or close enough to 3/8" - but the point being smaller than the 10-11mm axle ends on every other modern hub)
CKrybaH.jpg

this way, could make the rear whatever you want with one custom hub, and keep the stock hub in front.

Not perfect perspective, but you can kind of see here I have big air between the freewheel and drive-side dropout
PPFAwiD.jpg

Last edited:
Work has been slow; my friend Ed came by today with his artistic eye and applied the logos.

I decided to go with function over form and ordered a Campagnolo claw to use a Nouvo Record rear derailleur.

The fenders have been a challenge, a fender stay broke when I removed them from the fenders before powder coating. I couldn’t find replacement so I purchase a set of 380mm stainless stays then cut and threaded them; still need a bunch of adjusting.

C86B5476-DDE6-493E-900D-C753B2481F6D.jpeg

020E59F8-0E94-4457-8BE6-CFECDF3E0D10.jpeg

A8E67239-4F5D-4A15-A756-C8B7CA998F2A.jpeg

32AF47B5-206E-4456-AAD4-25449591F0FB.jpeg

-----

Thanks very much for the update.

Great to see she is moving right along.

Paint and transfers quite nice.

See she wears a mixed hub set, at least for now, of Nuovo Tipo large flange front paired with Record small flange rear.

Was it necessary to open the axle slots in the fork ends to accept the hollow axle?

The asian steel brake mounting washer looks slightly out of place there on the rear. Appears caliper's pivot bolt has been replaced with a low end asian one such as Cherry or Chang Star in order to get rid of the corrosion.

Good work with the project. Look forward to next update.

-----

Last edited:
-----

Thanks very much for the update.

Great to see she is moving right along.

Paint and transfers quite nice.

See she wears a mixed hub set, at least for now, of Nuovo Tipo large flange front paired with Record small flange rear.

Was it necessary to open the axle slots in the fork ends to accept the hollow axle?

The asian steel brake mounting washer looks slightly out of place there on the rear. Appears caliper's pivot bolt has been replaced with a low end asian one such as Cherry or Chang Star in order to get rid of the corrosion.

Good work with the project. Look forward to next update.

-----
You have a good eye; the bike has different wheels, I was figuring out which set to run. The small flange Record wheel has a 700C rim and a 36mm tire; the large flange has a 27” rim with a 1.25” tire, both QR axles fit in the dropouts without modification, I prefer the look of the high flange hubs with 27” rim and the brakes fit better; will most likely run them and considering a solid axle conversion.

The universal calipers were missing the hardware, the Asian washer came out of a spare parts bin, I felt it was better than running a flat washer against the round bridge.

Back