When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G519 Tribute Build

-
27C21841-6505-41F7-B08E-C07F37E0C30C.jpeg
Small update.
Painted cheap vintage pump that I ordered from Ebay. Today the Bergerworks pump bracket showed up. I mated the 3 to see how they fit.

More parts for the build. NOS wheels. The bell and reflector are beadblasted and painted. I did receive the fork. Sadly, the stem tube was cut down to far. I will start working on that soon to make it the correct length. I will turn a piece of tube on my lathe to go inside and act as a centersilng shim. Then I will MIG weld a new piece of tube to fasten the 3 pieces together. And I will also plug weld which should make it nice and strong. I have a women’s fork that I got with the truss rods that will be my doner.

25F23AEF-B32D-4CAA-B1BA-9E530BC45AFD.jpeg

Great work, where did you find the seat tabs? Still looking for two sets my bikes...
Johan,

I have a template for the seat tabs and they are easy to manufacture. Once I get back to my shop next month I'll send you the digital template

Boz

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I got the crash tabs off of eBay. They are not totally correct for G519. I was going to modify them to work. I would love to see the template too if I could. All I have is pictures found on the net. No dimensions.

The hand Grips are OD but not quite the right shade. I purchased them from a Gent that tried to repro them off of G503. Unfortunately they are hard polyurethane resin. They dont slide onto the bar. I have been thinking with the idea of using them to pull a silicone mold and use a high durometer elastomer polyurethane castling resin. But I don’t know. I might just polish them up and soak them in some hot water to soften up and slide them on. It was suggested to me to paint them in OD semi gloss. I may do that. After all it is a 5’ rule tribute. Wish it was real. Kind of like when someone paints up a CJ to look like a MB. It bothers me. But in this case. I couldn’t find a real G519 in my price range. So.... Tribute it is.

Hello,
9 years ago, i redid 2 pairs of crash tabs that i restored 3 saddles PERSON of origins, the leathers were damaged.
On the saddle of g519 1941, the crash tabs were present and good condition, i made à carboard template pieces of sheet metal and 1h30 they were done.
20180418_194445.jpg
20180418_193458.jpg
20180418_193511.jpg

My spokes arrived. I ordered a part number I saw on another G519 build. They are 11GX270mm.

I am a little concerned they are not correct. They measure .115 inches in dia. I think the original was .120 if I recall correctly. This is not my concern however. My. Concern is the nipple. The dia of the nipple is .195 and the spoke hole in the NOS wheel is .258. So I have a considerable abound of slop for the spokes. I dont know if this is fine or not. I have never laced a wheel. My coworker has the tools I will be borrowing. For the trueling and the lacing. What do you think? Should I be looking for a 10G spoke?
image.jpg

Also does anybody have any tips for paint prep on 72 stainless steel spokes? I suppose I could run them thru the sandblasted. Or sand them individually. Maybe a acid soak or something?I figured I might prep these spokes first. I really like the original paint on the rims. This is what I would like to match.

If it was me I would go with the 10 gauge spokes , I would be concerned about the nipples possibly pulling thru the rim with the 11 gauge , the originals were 10 gauge , 11 gauge is more for the Worksman type rims

Back