When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G519 Tribute Build

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Ok, after looking over the spec for 10 gauge spokes and nipples. I agree. I don’t know why the post on G503 by another cabe member used 11 gauge. Probably they were the heaviest gauge on the bicycle parts shop. So i am having trouble locating a vendor that sells 10ga spokes in 270mm. Does anyone have any leads?

Ok, after looking over the spec for 10 gauge spokes and nipples. I agree. I don’t know why the post on G503 by another cabe member used 11 gauge. Probably they were the heaviest gauge on the bicycle parts shop. So i am having trouble locating a vendor that sells 10ga spokes in 270mm. Does anyone have any leads?

I did want to report I have a CADD version of the crash tab template now. I Also have it in PDF so we can print to scale. I will see if I can upload it here. What Gauge was the crash tab?

I got the crash tabs off of eBay. They are not totally correct for G519. I was going to modify them to work. I would love to see the template too if I could. All I have is pictures found on the net. No dimensions.

The hand Grips are OD but not quite the right shade. I purchased them from a Gent that tried to repro them off of G503. Unfortunately they are hard polyurethane resin. They dont slide onto the bar. I have been thinking with the idea of using them to pull a silicone mold and use a high durometer elastomer polyurethane castling resin. But I don’t know. I might just polish them up and soak them in some hot water to soften up and slide them on. It was suggested to me to paint them in OD semi gloss. I may do that. After all it is a 5’ rule tribute. Wish it was real. Kind of like when someone paints up a CJ to look like a MB. It bothers me. But in this case. I couldn’t find a real G519 in my price range. So.... Tribute it is.

The original grips were a hard plastic and not a soft rubberized grip. Sand the inside of them with some fine wet sandpaper.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

View attachment 790770 Small update.
Painted cheap vintage pump that I ordered from Ebay. Today the Bergerworks pump bracket showed up. I mated the 3 to see how they fit.
Hi GPWPat,
I’ve been following your project. Looking great. I need to find a pump for mine - does the one that u ordered fit Schrader or Presta valves / both? Not sure if it matters really since it isn’t original equipment but was curious. Did u order it from the link on this thread? Thanks, John

Hi GPWPat,
I’ve been following your project. Looking great. I need to find a pump for mine - does the one that u ordered fit Schrader or Presta valves / both? Not sure if it matters really since it isn’t original equipment but was curious. Did u order it from the link on this thread? Thanks, John

I ordered it off ebay. It was called vintage bicycle pump 9”. It works with Schroeder. Not to bad from a distance. I figure a good place holder until an original is found. You will need to scuff the chrome or aluminum whatever it is to get the primer to stick.

Hi GPWPAT,
Nice work - I'm following your thread closely as I am doing a similar build. I have an original frame which was rebuilt/civilianised post war so I have been parts seaching. I too have had some difficulty sourcing 10G x 10 5/8"(270mm) spokes and nipples. I would be interested if you manage to source some. I would also appreciate a copy of the crash tab template. Keep up the good work- can't wait to see the finished product.

Regards,
Brett.

Uploading the seat crash tab template. I traced this in CADD from the image posted above. using the thickness of the spring at the front of the seat frame as a point of reference. so I don't know if it is exact. But it should be very close. I am going to practice on a sheet of aluminum.

I have found 2 sources of spokes. one is Memory lane, and there are some on Ebay. they have to be custom made. and run $45 for 37 spokes. My research is telling me I need 10Ga 270 MM. since everything is based on metric these days.

I received my Dayton Heavy duty hub yesterday. and purchased a Marrow hub from Ebay. It is the right era but wrong date code. I will have to drill out the spokes. when it shows up I will work on building a jig for my drill press.

Attachments

• seat crash tab.pdf
    6 KB · Views: 313
I drilled out a hub for a women’s tribute build and actually recommend using a vice and a cordless variable speed drill (I have three drill presses and a mill). The hub material is relatively hard and a drill press might tend to cause the bit to grab and break. Which ever tool you you use, just go slow and steady. After drilling the holes to the proper size, I used a larger bit to chamfer the holes on each side to allow the spokes to seat well in the holes. I also recommend using high quality preferably US made high speed steel bits. As recommended in earlier posts, I used a later Bendix marked front hub. Unless you get real close and read the markings, it is very difficult to tell the difference between my real G519 and my tribute hubs. I think it would pass a two foot test!

Great job on the build!

I drilled out the hubs on my 46 columbia using a drill press and a little clunky jig/clamp to hold it in place. With the press on a slower setting I had no problems at all but i'm sure everyone has a different experience. Maybe my hubs weren't as robust as the ones your are using..? I should have chamfered them though. I think i was hoping that I would replace them soon anyways...wishful thinking I'm sure. I still need to put a few things together on mine, hopefully finish it up soon. Great progress on yours!

I drilled out a hub for a women’s tribute build and actually recommend using a vice and a cordless variable speed drill (I have three drill presses and a mill). The hub material is relatively hard and a drill press might tend to cause the bit to grab and break. Which ever tool you you use, just go slow and steady. After drilling the holes to the proper size, I used a larger bit to chamfer the holes on each side to allow the spokes to seat well in the holes. I also recommend using high quality preferably US made high speed steel bits. As recommended in earlier posts, I used a later Bendix marked front hub. Unless you get real close and read the markings, it is very difficult to tell the difference between my real G519 and my tribute hubs. I think it would pass a two foot test!

Great job on the build!

Jerry the Memory Lane wheel builder said he uses a correct size burr instead of a drill bit and runs it in reverse when drilling a hub

Back