When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First BIANCHI...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Better news - found another bike on ebay, and that apparently is stock head angle on that tall frame size
And apparently it should have a smaller front rim so the top tube is sloping downward to front, as @juvela noted
The model 980 is Sprint. The high-trail front end geometry will make the bike want to go in a very straight line. The steering will be fast, and may feel twitchy if you lean heavily on the bars (which you're not supposed to do - should support your weight with core muscles)
Whoever swapped the wheel may have done it to give the bike less trail and make it easier to ride.
so I edited my post above
and you probably have something here that is worth a lot more than you have in it, especially if you search out the correct front wheel

BULLDOG...thanks for all the time spent looking and sharing all of this. I feel a lot better now after looking at the links.

Also, I contacted the seller who now will take $50 for the bike after I explained what all of you guys saw that I didn't. I'll start to do some work on it, and just keep it as an occasional rider. Nothing I'm going to be doing any crazy riding with (still recovering from my broken wrist some months ago). I have plenty of other bikes for longer rides!

-----

Fine job locating that 980 listing on ebay @bulldog1935 and sharing this excellent information. Wonder if example in listing a different model year than subject machine as it is fitted with different brake set.

---

For the record -

fittings which came with bicycle: black leather toe straps hotstamped "BIANCHI REKORD" in silver, Allara (AL-E) toe clips, SILCA Impero framefit pump in Celeste with gold hotstamp and plastic SILCA head.

-----

What are the odds!! I have TWO 27.2 seat posts in one of my parts containers. The one I'm using has that worn look to go with the bike, and the other was from a Raleigh with that "comfort" suspension built into it. It was from a C-40 (I think) that I had bought many, many years ago new and sold a year later. New owner wanted a regular post so I swapped it out.

IMG_3131.jpg

-----

Reggisella Nota -

finally found some images of cycle's gone walkabout saddle pillar.

it is a San Marco GS.

the 1044 seen in the machine on ebay is not original.

San Marco G.S. saddle pillar a) .jpg
San Marco G.S. saddle pillar b) .jpg
San Marco G.S. saddle pillar c) .jpg

San Marco GS saddle pillar d) .jpeg

Last edited:
I'll be adding another piece of Italy to the bike. Selle Italia Turbo saddle I've had for some time now. I remember it being very uncomfortable, but what the hell, it belongs with the only other piece of bicycling that I own from Italy. Cleanup is still going strong, but I had to put this on the bike just to see what it looked like. I also have white handlebar tape so it should look pretty decent when I finish it all.

IMG_3169.JPG

-----

Good job! ;)

Found it interesting that in the forum discussion you found of another model 980 not one of the posters seemed to know what it was. :openmouth:

That is quite an impressive automobile collection you have. :)

-----

Back