When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

-
My daughters and I went on a spin around the hood..
5C8544FC-73E2-48AC-B2F1-06779680E016.jpeg

Cycled over to Harwell Feast on the Rochester around Midday to meet up with the Benson VCC where we displayed an eclectic mix of machines.
Around 20 miles all told.
We had a lot of interest from the public, it was a great afternoon, the mornings mist eventually lifting and glorious sunshine for the ride home.
Something for everyone to enjoy, from kids stuff to ordinarys.....
View attachment 815419

View attachment 815420

Some of Chris' fantastic collection of "Rover" cycles.....
View attachment 815421 View attachment 815422 View attachment 815423

Dursleys and Durrkopp's etc.....
View attachment 815424

Two other riders rode a similar distance to the event; Ian on his new acquisition, an unusually framed "Royal Enfield", the double girder model.....
View attachment 815429 View attachment 815431
Murray turned up on one of his immaculate early British lightweights, a "The W.E.J. Cycles 'Special' ", Chater-Lea'd to the hilt.....
View attachment 815437
Great ride home after a pint of cider!
Europeans always make fun of American use of "antique" - and no wonder

even your masonry is cooler

Europeans always make fun of American use of "antique" - and no wonder

even your masonry is cooler

Just because it's older doesn't necessarily mean it's better. I'm lucky I guess to live in a town with a couple of millennia of recorded history, but what I wouldn't give to be able to gaze upon Yosemite on my doorstep (well maybe not your doorstep @bulldog1935).
Swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts!

Just because it's older doesn't necessarily mean it's better. I'm lucky I guess to live in a town with a couple of millennia of recorded history, but what I wouldn't give to be able to gaze upon Yosemite on my doorstep (well maybe not your doorstep @bulldog1935).
Swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts!
Yosemite is nice but too crowded. Endless beautiful mountains, rivers and deserts here. The wildflowers of Mt Rainier, glaciers in the Canadian Rockies, Wild and Scenic North Fork of the American River, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Independence Rock (kind of the Stone Henge of the west)...can you tell I'm a former Park Ranger?? ;) But I love soaking up the history of your region. Can't wait to go back again and walk in the ancestors footsteps, Saxons, Danes, Normans, Picts, Celts and those fascinating Doggerland folks...

Last week an old friend finished a 3 week ride with his cousin. From Lands End north through Wales to John O'Groats. They road over 1000 miles and didn't hit a single sheep.
Gary

1935 Huffman Velvet deLuxe
I tore it apart chasing a squeak in the bottom bracket. I put it back together with new bearings and the squeak is still there.
This bike rides real fast; Great size, and rolls for days.
I will have to keep trying.
D6436EC9-905E-40DD-AAEE-26F447703A9D.jpeg
5F71CE17-586E-49D9-8D82-FE636EC4BA9C.jpeg
2D57B2C4-4495-464D-87EC-902B976FE638.jpeg
2F1AC8BE-D914-4102-AAB5-CB782DB177D5.jpeg
1AB8ED9D-3383-4A64-9DD1-608F8DE9BFE6.jpeg
DD905D28-1C65-4C4B-8992-7A8D140428EB.jpeg

They told me to not take pictures of my bike inside.

Yosemite is nice but too crowded. Endless beautiful mountains, rivers and deserts here. The wildflowers of Mt Rainier, glaciers in the Canadian Rockies, Wild and Scenic North Fork of the American River, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Independence Rock (kind of the Stone Henge of the west)...can you tell I'm a former Park Ranger?? ;) But I love soaking up the history of your region. Can't wait to go back again and walk in the ancestors footsteps, Saxons, Danes, Normans, Picts, Celts and those fascinating Doggerland folks...

Last week an old friend finished a 3 week ride with his cousin. From Lands End north through Wales to John O'Groats. They road over 1000 miles and didn't hit a single sheep.
Gary

As I said, swings and roundabouts. I also appreciate those great wide open expanses over your side of the pond, something we lack in our crowded little land .
Chapeau! to your friend and his cousin, 'LEJOG' is an impressive ride. Adding another 100 or so miles with that Welsh detour (just because you want to) and all of those extra hills that would have entailed, truly epic!
Darren.

Redding starts to simmer by late morning, so I did a leisurely jaunt early. The canal runs from my hotel to the bike shop. I like to visit this particular shop when I'm in town. The locals don't call it by its real name. They call it Randy's. Randy is definitely old school.
IMG_1090.JPG

Randy was going through a bike for a customer when I got there. If anybody knows the model of this Hawthorne, I'll let Randy know.
IMG_1089.JPG

On the way home I visited the ducks with their babies.
IMG_1092.JPG

And just before heading in from the heat, I spotted a few swallow nests stuck up underneath the cable mounts of the Sundial Bridge. Google says they are made of mud and twigs. You can see a darting swallow just leaving the lower mount.
IMG_1099.JPG

Last edited:
As I said, swings and roundabouts. I also appreciate those great wide open expanses over your side of the pond, something we lack in our crowded little land .....
a lot of truth - if you bring Hawaiians to sprawling greater Houston, it becomes their favorite place - they can drive around for hours staring at undeveloped square-miles, and walk in stores with huge isles and endless inventories for hours, and be totally entertained.
Or if you've ever been in a hotel room in Tokyo or Singapore, can understand why they're the same way - places where a square foot has surprising real estate value.

Last edited:
Back