When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Important Discussion for Newcomers to the Hobby

-
The elephant in the room, that new collectors may be unaware of, are restorations that get distressed to look like original patina.
There are some experts in this hobby that make it hard to figure out if it's real or not.
I like good restorations and I like condition "what happened to this bike?"
All depends on the bike.
If you are new to this hobby, here's a clue, don't buy everything that rolls, buy a nice rider and think twice before sinking deep money in your projects.

The elephant in the room, that new collectors may be unaware of, are restorations that get distressed to look like original patina.
There are some experts in this hobby that make it hard to figure out if it's real or not.
I like good restorations and I like condition "what happened to this bike?"
All depends on the bike.
If you are new to this hobby, here's a clue, don't buy everything that rolls, buy a nice rider and think twice before sinking deep money in your projects.

Agreed, buy what you like and do with it what you want.

Came in on this late. I’ve retro modded, ratted, customized, parted and “restored” some bikes. I’ve never acquired a bike as nice like the first one pictured in this thread. But even I would have left it original. The ones I’ve molested have been rusty partial bikes to start with. I would loved to have found the topic of discussion bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad this is being discussed . No one has the right to tell another person what they can do with their own property. Just because you choose to do certain things with your bikes doesn't mean it's the only or right way. Please respect others rights to do as they please, even if you don't agree with it. In the immortal words of Rodney King ;
"Why can't we all just get along ".

The moment a bike is posted on a
public forum which is opened to everyone.

Expect to get different comments and opinions.

Some may be positive or informative.
Others will be negative.

Block option is a wonderful tool!

P.S.
There was a time when bicycle newsletters was the only way to
show or keep in touch with
the world of bicycles from the past.
I don't recall any issues like today.

Last edited:
F7894957-5951-42F8-9E90-FC55468E97EF.jpeg
3A7A108F-BD2B-4801-8854-CFC6843AB7E7.jpeg
7AD6A55E-3618-4BDB-B8F3-C31545598665.jpeg
Not to bring this page up again, but I had a serious question. Thoughts on this 35 DD would a restoration hurt or help this bike? Cause I’m about a couple of days away from taking it down to bare metal. And would sandblasting hurt the bike/tank? Thanks for any thoughts.

View attachment 817244 View attachment 817245 View attachment 817247 Not to bring this page up again, but I had a serious question. Thoughts on this 35 DD would a restoration hurt or help this bike? Cause I’m about a couple of days away from taking it down to bare metal. And would sandblasting hurt the bike/tank? Thanks for any thoughts.

Unless you are willing to be upside down on the value of the bike to do a real restoration and not a mediocre refurb don’t bother. The worst thing you could do for the value and soul of that bicycle would be to strip it and then bail on the proper resto.

Why the rush? Spend a little time with it and decide what’s best for you. Shop around for proper paint and chrome prices in the meantime and use that information to make a better decision.

My $.02 since you asked.

Unless you are willing to be upside down on the value of the bike to do a real restoration and not a mediocre refurb don’t bother. The worst thing you could do for the value and soul of that bicycle would be to strip it and then bail on the proper resto.

Why the rush? Spend a little time with it and decide what’s best for you. Shop around for proper paint and chrome prices in the meantime and use that information to make a better decision.

My $.02 since you asked.

Second that. Especially the patience part. Been there and still have regrets about my fast decisions and mediocre results. Unless you are willing to go all in, you'll probably just mess up a bike that someone else really wants all while possibly decreasing the value & sell-ability. Look how many restored bikes sit and sit without a buyer. Very few bikes are "forever" bikes with most collectors.

Plus I think that bike has a pretty killer look to it as is. New rubber & leather and I be ecstatic to own that.

Back