When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torrington spoke/nipple follow up

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you have the original spokes they might be restorable.

I have the original spokes, just not enough good ones to have the 72 needed. That's why I'm trying to find enough NOS spokes and nipples to do one wheel. Between the 2 wheels, I should have more than enough to do one wheel, using the best of the 62+ spokes I have. Thanks!

I HAVE ORIGINAL NOS TORRINGTON NIPPLES 3/4 INCH 0.80 FLAT FOUR SIDES IF YOU NEED THEM.
[email protected]
Thanks for the offer but since I have lots of time consuming things left to do - like some rechroming - I'm going to hold out for now and see if I can find enough of the 13/16" 2 sided nipples before I really need them. If that doesn't work out, then I'll keep you in mind. Thanks again.

Take a known good spoke and look it over carefully and then match.
-check the headstamp on known correct spokes: is there a mark (say, a "U" or an "R" or a brand stamp)?
-What is the shape of the spoke head - domed or flat? Some companies polished them down, some left domed.
-what length is the spoke? Lots of Torringtons in middleweight and ballooner sizes, but not as many in lightweight sizes.
-What color is the finish? Light grey? Darker grey with a rough/thick finish? Anti-rust coatings varied.
-Make sure you match the shape of your known good spokes (double-butted, straight gauge, tapered, etc)
-How long is the elbow on it? Brands varied on the length of the spoke elbow, and newer spokes often have longer elbows than older ones.

My philosophy is to match as many of those elements as possible without worrying too much about the brand. Usually I'm looking for a handful of spokes to round out a wheelset where a couple need replacing. If the spoke essentially matches what I have already, I don't care too much about brand. I'm sure museum-grade collectors are pickier than me though.

The odds of finding verified, known Torrington lightweight spokes possible, but you'll need to be patient. You'll want to buy from a bike collector who knows his stuff, and who probably has spokes he knows are Torrington (maybe still in the correct box). Buying "in the wild" on eBay from guys with bundles of unknown spokes usually will yield something made by Union in the 1960s-70s, at least in the 26 inch lightweight bike wheel sizes.

Hi SirMike1983, I can now confirm that my 11 3/8" original spokes, the too short NOS Torrington spokes in their original box that I bought just for the 2 sided 13/16" nipples, and the right length straight - not double butted - Torrington spokes in their original box all have a 90 degree X on the top of the domed heads. Had you not asked your questions, I would have continued to buy "blind" but now I know what questions to ask sellers about otherwise unbranded NOS spokes in bulk. Knowing such a small detail that I might never have stumbled on by myself is a very big deal to me - THANKS!

Take a known good spoke and look it over carefully and then match.
-check the headstamp on known correct spokes: is there a mark (say, a "U" or an "R" or a brand stamp)?
-What is the shape of the spoke head - domed or flat? Some companies polished them down, some left domed.
-what length is the spoke? Lots of Torringtons in middleweight and ballooner sizes, but not as many in lightweight sizes.
-What color is the finish? Light grey? Darker grey with a rough/thick finish? Anti-rust coatings varied.
-Make sure you match the shape of your known good spokes (double-butted, straight gauge, tapered, etc)
-How long is the elbow on it? Brands varied on the length of the spoke elbow, and newer spokes often have longer elbows than older ones.

My philosophy is to match as many of those elements as possible without worrying too much about the brand. Usually I'm looking for a handful of spokes to round out a wheelset where a couple need replacing. If the spoke essentially matches what I have already, I don't care too much about brand. I'm sure museum-grade collectors are pickier than me though.

The odds of finding verified, known Torrington lightweight spokes possible, but you'll need to be patient. You'll want to buy from a bike collector who knows his stuff, and who probably has spokes he knows are Torrington (maybe still in the correct box). Buying "in the wild" on eBay from guys with bundles of unknown spokes usually will yield something made by Union in the 1960s-70s, at least in the 26 inch lightweight bike wheel sizes.

PS to my previous post: In the blue box of Torrington spokes, there were several 12 1/4" length "odd ball" spokes. The nipples that someone had screwed onto a few of them are similar to the Torrington nipples but the nipple tops - with the screwdriver slot - are larger and sort of shaped like a mini flying saucer. The spoke heads themselves are domed and embossed with what looks like a 4 leaf clover. Do you have any idea what brand those are?

Back