When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938-1940 Huffman Twin Flex Thread

-

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
This is a bike I've been interested in for some time. The model has an interesting beginning with a rocky start and total recall (-1) of the original design. I would like to gather enough material to do a monograph on these. Please limit discussion/photos to the 1938-1940 Huffman built Twin Flex models. Badges include Airflyte, National, Dayton, Firestone, Dixie Flyer, Snell, Macys, etc... I am particularly interested in seeing original paint bikes with serial numbers as well as fork crown numbers. The fork crown number is about the most accurate way to date one of these unless it was originally equipped with a Morrow hub.

The genesis of this effort was a question posed concerning the straight down tube vice curved down tube of the '38 boys models. Based on some literature I have and feedback from others it appears the straight downtube is indicative of the April/May '38 bikes. After the initial debacle of the "Death Bike" design it appears Huffman did a quick re-design and introduced the revision in April '38 as a '39 model. Based on equipment changes in the '39 cat I still classify the earlier bikes as '38s.

I also want to include the '40 model even though it is a significantly different bike in many respects. Most think of these as strictly "big tank" bikes but it appears there were some built with the three rib "zephyr" (bump) tank as well. V/r Shawn

DSC_0128 - Copy.JPG

Thanks for the posts guys. I would love to see some fork crown/serial numbers for these. I suppose one question that needs to be answered is does anyone have a straight down tube bike with a fork crown number later than May/June '38? V/r Shawn

Back