When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 Raleigh Super Course

-

slowride

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked this one up last week. I may have to change my handle because this one is anything but slow! Almost all original except MKS pedals and IHC gum walls and original B15 saddle was lost over the years and latest owner found and installed vintage B15 narrow. which he laced with color matching shoe laces which I think I will remove. Saddle also feels like maybe too taught (front but over tightened). Any thoughts on adjusting properly so as not to damage saddle from overtightening? Regarding these period quick release hubs , should they be tightened/ installed similarly to modern ones? Anyone have any experience / advice with heuret luxe derailleurs? Included below is the table from the 1971 Raleigh Carlton catalog. Many thanks. Steve

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1392.PNG

-----

WOW!

Did all SC of this annum come through with NERVEX Professional lugs or were others seen as well?

Must have forgotten that the Freres Huret Luxe gear ensemble was fitted as late as this year. Were there also examples which were fitted with Juy during the year?

Appears to wear the Wally-TDC HS so is steerer 26TPI whilst shell be 24TPI & 68mm (nominal!)?

Spokes are Robergel Sport.

Big thanks for this treat!

Suspect rubber thingies to be IRC (Inoue Rubber Co. Ltd.) rather than IHC.

-----

Picked this one up last week. I may have to change my handle because this one is anything but slow! Almost all original except MKS pedals and IHC gum walls and original B15 saddle was lost over the years and latest owner found and installed vintage B15 narrow. which he laced with color matching shoe laces which I think I will remove. Saddle also feels like maybe too taught (front but over tightened). Any thoughts on adjusting properly so as not to damage saddle from overtightening? Regarding these period quick release hubs , should they be tightened/ installed similarly to modern ones? Anyone have any experience / advice with heuret luxe derailleurs? Included below is the table from the 1971 Raleigh Carlton catalog. Many thanks. Steve

View attachment 832955

View attachment 832956

View attachment 832957

View attachment 832958

View attachment 832959

View attachment 832961

View attachment 832963

View attachment 832964
That is one well kept bicycle! Congrats on such a great find!

even the Brooks Sprint saddle of that era will have the same thickness leather as the current top-grade Brooks, currently only on limited-edition saddles, and always on Brooks Team Pro.
This was the LE Sprint reissue from 4 years ago
13695677505_07acb5664f.jpg

you might want to tackle those laces differently, though
XfRpS5P.jpg

Last edited:
-----

Your saddle question -

Remember to lubricate the threads of the tension adjustment bolt to give you better "feel" when you turn the adjustment nut.

-----

Many thanks @juvela ,@bulldog1935 ,@bikemonkey
Lugs : catalog for 1970 and 1972 show nervex but by '73 exclusive Capella on Super Course model.
Derailleur: '69 heuret catalog has luxe but only touring and competition versions capable of 3,4,5,6 gears. '71 catalog show availability of ST super tour long cage but by '73 it's gone from heuret catalog. Jubilee not offered on this model in '71 only higher end bike Raleigh Super Tourer which had full 531 (super course plain gage 531 main tubes). By '72 Raleigh put simplex prestige on everything but international and professional which got campa (record kept alvit).

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

even the Brooks Sprint saddle of that era will have the same thickness leather as the current top-grade Brooks, currently only on limited-edition saddles, and always on Brooks Team Pro.
This was the LE Sprint reissue from 4 years ago
View attachment 833030

you might want to tackle those laces differently, though
View attachment 833033

Hello @bulldog1935 . In the 65 year old proofhide thread I noticed you have a very nice silver bike with white fenders. Can you tell me what kind of fenders (and bike!) and if you think hey would fit physically and aesthetically with this this Super Course? I've been looking for a pair of Bluemels in white but they're hard to find. Also, general question for road bikes: as dust and dirt are the enemy for exposed geartrains, do fenders keep bike/geartrain any cleaner on dry roads ? At least I would think it protects paint from pebbles and stones. Here in the northern states freeze/thaw/lack of maintenance cause much the roads are crumbling and I would like to keep this SC looking it's best!

Hello @bulldog1935 . In the 65 year old proofhide thread I noticed you have a very nice silver bike with white fenders. Can you tell me what kind of fenders (and bike!) and if you think hey would fit physically and aesthetically with this this Super Course? I've been looking for a pair of Bluemels in white but they're hard to find. Also, general question for road bikes: as dust and dirt are the enemy for exposed geartrains, do fenders keep bike/geartrain any cleaner on dry roads ? At least I would think it protects paint from pebbles and stones. Here in the northern states freeze/thaw/lack of maintenance cause much the roads are crumbling and I would like to keep this SC looking it's best!
hi friend,
These are actually alloy Honjos on my '74 International - they're really fully-coverage,
though certainly more French-style than English
5uXqCmt.jpg

Tr0AfGH.jpg

I do have white plastic Bluemels (ok, an equivalent - RW Clipper) on my '57 Lenton Grand Prix
These are the classic Brit fenders
nDwGeHu.jpg

g6sXqNZ.jpg

The Bluemels/ Clipper/ SKS-Esge plastic fenders are easier to install, cheaper, and they work fine (especially if you add a front mud flap.
No question you could easily add a pair of these to your Super Course.
They hang on the brake bolts, the rear fender clips to the chainstay bridge, and you have fender bosses for the stay mounts on your dropouts.

when you need to shape alloy fenders, it's metalwork. When you need to shape your plastic bluemels, gentle-use of a blow-drier will get you there.

The French style fenders, Honjo (Japan) are superior for riding in slop, have better designed mounting hardware, and more work to install - and bit more expensive.
I've done both style fenders on a few bikes, and know all the tricks especially for getting the metal fenders right.
https://www.jitensha.com/eng/honjinstl.html
Velo Orange sells cheaper, slightly heavier alloy fenders made by Tanaka, and are also pre-drilled, but I much prefer making all my own holes in new undrilled fender blanks.
The longer French-style fenders need more attachment points to keep them from vibrating and buffeting.
BDK1H7W.jpg

O10B0QK.jpg

RPmMrBf.jpg

8QZZu2u.jpg

a classic bike-boom touch are shorty fenders, which do only one job well -
- keeping road grime from all the nooks and crannies in your center pull brakes.
2M0EDXO.jpg

some people complain about noise with their metal fenders, but they just haven't figured all the tricks to mount them securely and dampen out vibration.
One thing for sure about the plastic Bluemels - no noise.

Last edited:
These are Velo Orange plain fenders on this 1974 Grand Prix. They have pre-drilled holes and mount via a two-part eyelet on a leather buffer base. They're not too difficult to install, but are a tight-ish fit on the Grand Prix in the front around the fork crown. They are a smaller, plainer fender than some of the French-type ones. They look nice and are reasonably light. They do capture the vintage look reasonably well.

20170628_191430.jpg

20170628_191451.jpg

These are Velo Orange plain fenders on this 1974 Grand Prix. They have pre-drilled holes and mount via a two-part eyelet on a leather buffer base. They're not too difficult to install, but are a tight-ish fit on the Grand Prix in the front around the fork crown. They are a smaller, plainer fender than some of the French-type ones. They look nice and are reasonably light. They do capture the vintage look reasonably well.

View attachment 833407

View attachment 833408
looking sharp Mike
everybody should have at least one fender bike

Back